Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Heres one for the experts...

Burntime

I put a known 20hp vanguard to replace the blown 20hp. It is all in and no pop or anything. I have good spark. I put ether in the carb and still nothing. The fuel pump is pumping. It does turn over. I have no idea? Any ideas? It is a vertical shaft motor.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Burntime

• Ronald Hribar

• rfsmith1952

• fishnwiz

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The carb from the 20hp threw a rod and I converted an 18 to a 20...I did find this on youtube...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxwvpJhJaj0

Motor ran like a top when pulled. It is low hours, like 100 hours. I can hear the carb clicking. Oil level is correct, I even pulled the plugs to make sure the cylinders did not fill with oil being tipped. This is also the same oil sentinel on the motor when it ran perfectly. It is also fully wired up.

Do you have good vacuum at the carb when cranking? I had a young man working for me that removed a carb and stuffed a rag in the intake to prevent debris from falling in. The rag didn't get removed, the engine wouldn't start. Just a thought.

Was the flywheel removed? Maybe the engine has sheared the key? Have you tried putting some carb cleaner directly into one of the cylinders?

Flywheel was removed and put back on. I am not even getting a backfire or pop. Nothing even close. Key is in place. I even sprayed ether in the carb and not so much as a cough. I know I have good spark...

Sounds like a compression issue? With fuel and spark, it should do something. You say you have good spark. Via a spark tester? Are you sure you have good plugs? Lastly, dump a bit of fuel right into the air filter intake. If you have spark, and fuel, it would seem to me to be a compression issue. Timing completely off or valves stuck open. Hard to believe you would have issues on BOTH cylinders, so my thought might be timing? Attempting to fire when valves are still open?

Brett, I know compression is great. I had it running and it is strong. I am at my wits end. I checked and the oil sentry kills spark...I have spark. Got to be something simple...

Mike, I don't know much, but if you have compression, spark (at the correct time) and fuel, it has to pop or do something. How do you know you have spark?

if you pull a plug and shoot it with ether/gas, it WILL fire if spark is good. it has no choice.

if it doesnt then i would triple check spark. then work my way backwards to plugs, fuel, wiring, and like mentioned, timing.

Gas-fouled plugs, particularly Autolites, sometimes will not spark. You may have gas-fouled them from repeated starting attempts. I've seen guys clean them by setting them on fire to burn off the gas, but I just get new plugs.

If valves are not sticking open and you have compression and fuel and spark it has to be a timing issue or maybe water in the carb/gas?

I think the wiring was the same on the two motors.

And you just had to put everything together plug and play.

and you can see fuel up to carb.

only thing left is to check for compression with a guage

You guys are all coming to the same conclusion, but I know compression is good. It just wont fire. That is why I am at a loss as well.

You put bad motor back in ?

I still think you have to check compression

That willtellif yo have restricted intake,open or shut valves

You say you have spark - was that before you wired it up or after? If you by any chance haven't checked the spark since wiring it up, disconnect the ignition kill wire and try again.

if the motor ran nice before you dropped er in im gonna go with something very simple that has been over looked. obviously you have had time to walk away, which is sometimes mandatory in order to get the head right.