Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Homelite ready to plow!

rfsmith1952

The T-10 is ready for this upcoming storm (2 to 4 inches) I know that's a dusting for you north central guys. It's just plain fun here.

TractorAtNight.jpg

TractorAtNight.jpg.dc35a85a3fa794af677849eda6415101.jpg

It's funny, because the T-12 is named Christine. She is in the shed because she will NOT adapt to electronic ignition. The tractor is determined to NOT work, other than pull a cart a little bit. The T-10 in the picture is called Rhonda, after the Beach Boys song "Help Me, Rhonda." She always works, with very little fussing. Still both of them are a lot of fun.

quote:Originally posted by Gordan

I think I'd forgive my tractor going homicidal if it meant that it would magically fix its own BGB when it breaks.

id="quote">
id="quote">:D Or a broken rear axle. dOd

That's a great picture. The first thing I thought of, not knowing what a "T-10" is, is my 7010 and my former 3410. A Google search shows a T-10 is a Simplicity made 3410 or 7010, branded Homelite and in blue and white. Never knew that.

Your post brings up an off-topic question. I have the same motor (10hp B&S), and when I redid the points plunger and coil, I came across an electronic ignition modification. Is there a common "go-to" solution (part source) for the module? I seem to recall the magnets may need to be changed in the flywheel for this mod. Is that right, and is there a company that is known to still do this?

Yes, some were built by Allis also. The T-10 is a simplicity and the T-12 is an Allis-Built. The T-10 still has points, and they work fine. But the T-12 (12hp Brigss) will take an electronic ignition, just mine won't (Hence Christine) There are several threads, and several theories, but for most people and tractors it just works. You can also start a new thread (topic) Briggs will re-polarize the flywheel for free (but you pay shipping)

try searching for:

Magnetron Conversion for old Briggs 10 Hp

Bob

Bob,

I don't think North Central PA is going to get hit until later tonight. Down here in SE PA (Near Quakertown) the fine snow is continuing, with larger flakes beginning to mix in. About 3-4 inch blanket, so far. This is the first storm coming in from the North, This season!

Of course both 4212Gs (The Queen and Jester) are up on jack stands, and "Ol' Rusty" '68 2110 Landlord), is still in peach baskets!

Got plows for the Queen, and a blower hitch for the Queen is on the way from Dan (ROXON2813). The FLEET (now "on the bench"), Literally!sm02

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/pop_photo_gallery.asp?PATH=uploaded&M_NAME=GrincheyOne&MEMBER_ID=11300

Hope U stocked up on the Yingling, and are enjoying a warm fireside break! Time for me to go play with Jester's Tecumseh TransaxleXX(

Cheers,

Wayne

Here in South Central PA we have seven or so inches and supposed to snow until near midnight.Was out once with the B-10 and blade. Never did get the blower and cab on the 917 like previous years.

917cab1.jpg

Grinch - timing is everything!. I can see the peach baskets full of ol rusty. ;-)

Greg - We're so close I'm going to come down and buy you a coffee some day. I've been to PhanDad's for parts, He's a nice man and very smart when it comes to these old tractors. Grinch is over in Montgomery County, not far either.

Scott: Thanks.

I do have a blower for the T-10, tried it once, went back to plowing. For next winter I hope to put the blower on the T-10 and a new bigger plow on the T-12, then we'll have it covered.

6" or so, decided to reseal the tranny on my wonderboy so I had to fab up a pusher blade out of aluminum for my MF 50. It did good for a while but looks rather bent now.

Bob,Bill (PhanDad) is east of US 1, and the PA Turnpike (a good 45 minutes from here). I used to live below there until 1970. Greg B, was here to drop off some attachments, so He is aware of where I am, and what my driveway is like.XX(Currently We have over 5", and expecting another 5-8 before daylight. I was just out (on the covered patio) playing with the (warped (?) drive pulley on the Jester's transaxle, getting ready to swap it with the one from the Queen's transaxle. The blower hitch from Dan (ROXON2813) is expected to arrive on the 27th. so I have 6 days to get the queen off the jack stands/ramps!sm06Coffee sounds good! dOdHere is the Queen's "bucket of Bentonite"!!!The arrow points to the spur gear, that lost a tooth (My Bad)sm02

Dscn0762.jpg

Stay warm!Wayne

Dscn0762.jpg.3dfcc20e175185737c0e8055f357d8b5.jpg

Well, I wish you good luck with that. I went out and plowed tonite, in expectation of another couple inches overnite, but it looks like it's done. NWS has cancelled the winter weather advisory, and issued a wind chill warning. I'm in Schuylkill County, right on the edge of the mess.

Wow Wayne, you are a bigger man then me to take on that chore. My head is spinning just looking at the pic!sm00 Nothing that about 25 cans of engine brite won't fix!!;)

Good luck.

I'm close to the Downingtown t-pike exit. My snow fun began with driving from Bala Cynwyd home in the mess. When I got home I got to shovel the walkway (too narrow for the plow) and then set about transferring the ags from my 7116h to the 918, then plowing out my rutted out gravel and mud driveway. It was still snowing when I got done (around 9 PM) but not much, so there was only a light coating of powder to sweep this morning. It actually got colder this time (zero degrees) than during the infamous polar vortex . I had on my flannel pajamas under my pants and my legs still got very cold. Took a nip of scotch and a snuggle with the wife to get those peripheral blood vessels to open up again!

By the way... in very cold weather, are you guys finding that the engine will smoke/burn oil until it warms up a bit? This is a nearly new Vanguard and I'm running on LP so I don't think it's an air-fuel issue.

No noticeable increase in smoke, but when it gets really cold, and I know I have to plow, the old Park Avenue gets the boot and the tractor gets its spot in the garage.

In Langhorne, we got about 10" of light powder type snow. Unusual for the area, it's usually wet, heavy snow. Some areas got more, some less. The was a narrow band of heavy snowfall that was over me for a couple times.

I posted a short video in the "Show and Tell" forum of my GTH-L in action.

And I don't notice any extra smoke or oil consumption when cold.

quote:Originally posted by rfsmith1952

It's funny, because the T-12 is named Christine. She is in the shed because she will NOT adapt to electronic ignition.

id="quote">
id="quote">Bob, if Christine still has the ability to have a set of points and a condenser, try putting a battery ignition on her. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=43560&SearchTerms=battery,ignitionBest mod you can make to a cast iron Briggs engine.We've just gotten the cold, no snow to speak of here in NE Ohio.John U

Bob,

Part of the mod is to add a coil from a Kohler engine. You ditch the coil under the shroud.

Are we talking about a cast iron Briggs in Christine?

Here is a coil like I am referring to.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wheel-Horse-Electro-12-Tractor-Kohler-K301-12-hp-Engine-Ignition-Coil-/141167430286?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20de3c0a8e

You also have to change the ignition switch to one for a battery ignition, or use a seperate toggle switch as Maynard did.

It's not as complicated as it might sound at first. There are several advantages, better cold starts being a major one.

John U

Bob,

I'm sorry to hear that the T-12 is not running. I do have a little sentimental connection to that tractor.:D

John is correct with his coil advise. I have several tractors converted, and they all run well.

No new snow to report in NW PA. Just -6 deg. temps this am.