Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs 16hp carb leaking

curlett

I have a 16hp single cylinder Briggs in a 3416 I just got and I've been having trouble with the carb leaking gas out of the gasket where the upper and lower body's bolt together. I took it apart to rebuild and noticed a small nick in the aluminum on the lower body from someone prying on it to get it apart, so I got a flat table with sandpaper and sanded it out. Ever since then it weeps gas out of that gasket, and I've tried 2 different upper body's with it. They dont seem to fit together quite right, im wondering if i ruined the lower body by flatening it out when sanding the nick out? Has anyone ever had this problem because I'm stumped.

Why not try a little bead of RTV gasket sealer on the lower bowl and then place the gasket on top of that and tighten? Be sure to get the fuel resistant type and use a small amount on the bead so none of the excess sealant falls into the bowl.

Good luck.

I have a file on the carb being warped, but don't knowhow to send it here. Send me an email and I can reply to it edstoler at earthlink dot net. Also try two gaskets.

Is it the same carb as a 10hp B&S? I ask because my memory is that on that carb if the piece that screws in on a 45 degree angle from the bottom up into the body (which then has the high speed mixture jet screwed into it) is not seated right, you may get such a leak. My memory or this comment could be way off here, as carbs are not something I enjoy maintaining. I believe I got that info from a Zippo Varga youtube - again that is my memory.

You are talking about the emulsion tube issue which is different from the issue the OP said was the problem. You are correct as to the emulsion tube also being an issue in fuel bowl leaks....hence the shutoff valve addition by most folks here.

I bought a carb kit and new emulsion tube that screws in on the 45 angle so I don't think that's the problem. When I tighten up the screws the corners seal tight but I can fit a .002 feeler gauge in by the gasket in the middle sections in between the screws. Both the upper bodies i tried seemed to be warped because the corners seem to touch first. I'm going to try the silicon and if that doesn't work I guess I'll have to buy a new upper body. It's just hard to believe that both upper bodies I have are warped in the same way.

I have a procedure for un-warping the top half but it is in jpg. Email me off list (edstoler at earthlink dot net.) or how do we post pictures here. Use two gaskets before trying a sealer.

There is an actual procedure for fixing a warped carb body....interesting.Is this a common problem that I just happened to never hear about?

I have used "form a gasket" sealer for automotive work where I apply to the gasket. Not sure if it would work on this application but it would be worth a try.

Dave

quote:Originally posted by curlett

I got some fuel resistant sealer and put that on and so for so good, not sure if its going to hold up long term though... We'll see

id="quote">
id="quote">Other option may be double gasket if sealant fails.