Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sunstar Front PTO Cross Reference

Turnings

I have a Sunstar with the Kohler Magnum horizontal twin 20hp engine. From what I can figure out the tractor model number is: 1691926 The front pto electric clutch seems to have died. Is there a cross reference on which clutches would work on this tractor? Or are there suggestions on aftermarket pto clutch units? The dealer wants $500.00 for a new clutch which is pretty expensive.

Thanks for your help.

I'm not sure about the cross refernce, but I have played with my Sunstar enought to know the electrical safeties can be complicated. Are you sure that your clutch is the problem and not the interlock module. Easiest way to check is disconnect both sides from the tractor and connect one side to ground and the other to the battery.

Thanks for your reply joelk. I have checked & I am getting power at the wire that enters the clutch. The first symptoms were that the clutch would not engage and if I would work the pto switch a few times it would engage. I replaced the switch and the problem persists. Sometimes if I would leave the pto switch on like when blowing snow it would engage after a few moments. so it seems to me like the clutch is not working properly.

The problem I ran into was not the power side, it was the ground side. The interlock module actually takes the ground away (I think) and that's what stops the PTO. If you haven't done it yet, try grounding the non power side to the chassis and see if it makes a difference. You may have done all this, so just ignore it if you have, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestions Joelk. After being laid up for a few days, I was able to do some further testing. I adjusted the air gap on the clutch. I was at about .030 and adjusted it to .012 according to Warner's specs. That cured the problem and it now works great.

Thanks again.