Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

PS install and the 'Upstop Plate' - P/N 1716863

Talntedmrgreen

I began the PS install on Ray's old 7790 and overlooked this part, when collecting components:

upstop.png

First, is it needed (Assuming it is, to prevent wear or damage), and if so, can anyone provide dimensions? It's a $4 part, but it's $10 to ship 8) To save $14, I'll post some pictures for you guys instead. Deal? Any takers? Thanks! ;)

Here's a pic of the UpStop:

UpStopa.JPG

Pic of UpStop installed on my 75th:

IMG_5582b.jpg

It's 1/4" thick. I believe it's supposed to prevent damage to the PS cylinder when the axle is in the full up position. However the PS cylinder still hits the running board with the stop installed:

stock_cylinder_hit.JPG

The running board flexes up until the axle hits the stop. Maybe that amount of flex was deemed acceptable. My solution was to cut an arc in the bottom of the running board:

arc_at_upstop.JPG

Roy and others cut the end of the running board for clearance. It can be seen in this post:

http://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/39141-power-steering-stops/#comment-427355

Edited by PhanDad
Removed 2nd set of pics at end of post

Another issue with the PS install is the error in the instructions about the orientation of the "T". Brettw provided some pics of a factory install. That install doesn't match the instructions. See this post:

http://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/49734-ps-hydro-valve-plumbing-pics/#comment-49737

Edited by PhanDad
Fixed Link

Thanks Bill! Nice tip on the runningboard trim...I hadn't run across that, but had read the posts on the 'T'.

I figured that was the purpose of the stop...I wonder if I can eliminate the running board contact by simply reducing some travel, by drilling my hole further up on the stop plate?

Thank you for the dimensions and pictures!

On another note....what are the chain links shown above, with the cables running through them? I just had a frame here with a couple chain links on it, in that same position, but wasn't sure why they were there.

I thought about using a longer upstop (or making another hole), but because my property is hilly, I wanted to allow as much axle travel as possible to have the deck be parallel to the ground. As to the chain, it's for the spring assist on the newer snow blowers.

IMG_6157a.jpg

And the chain acted as a convenient parking place for the disconnected throttle and choke cables since I had to move the engine forward when I did the PS install.

Edited by PhanDad
Removed 2nd set of pics at end of post

Gotcha!

Yeah...maybe the stop isn't the best idea for me. As it is, I use a 42" because of all my slopes, and even that gets into the the running boards.

I just took a big crescent wrench and bent the footplate lip up on mine, just enough to clear the cylinder when it goes all the way up.

quote:Pic of UpStop installed on my 75th:id="quote">
id="quote">

So that's what that piece of metal bolted onto the front of the frame of my PS Sovereign, for no reason I could determine or understand, was for. Guess I'll have to bolt it back on!

Originally posted by Brettw
quote:
id="quote">I had noticed it on mine as well, but never gave it any thought. I never paid it any mind when running down the parts list for the 7790 install either. Since I began the project, however, it stood out to me.Out of curiousity, when did they begin offering the later style PS? Did they discontinue the early style at that time, or did they overlap? I've noticed there is no provisions for the rear mounting bracket to be mounted on a 7790...the diesel engine mount is in the way, and so I had to take a large chunk out of my bracket for it to fit. It eats up substantial real estate, and so, my bracket will have only 2 mounting bolts vs three.Anyone ever weld that bracket on?

Just out of curiosity, since I don't have and am not likely to ever find, a power steering sovereign, why couldn't you use a shorter bolt on the rod end to steering arm mount, or even better bolt it under the steering arm?

Wouldn't that help the clearance issue?

The upstop plate prevents the rod end bearing from contacting the side of the frame rail and binding. The depression in the side rail is there to allow the standard manual steering balljoint to not hit the frame side rail when the axle is fully articulated. The rod end bearing on the hydraulic cylinder is larger in diameter and thus needs to have the amount of articulation in the LH wheel up position restricted so the rod end doesn't bind on the side of the frame. I do not believe that it has anything to do with any contact of the hydraulic cylinder against the running board.

quote:Originally posted by stevenj

I do not believe that it has anything to do with any contact of the hydraulic cylinder against the running board.

id="quote">
id="quote">Correct, but it COULD, if it further obstructed the axle's travel, right? I don't really want to bend or hack my running board...I also don't want the cylinder up in it either. Hmmm....