Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Front PTO

mbir3416

looking for some help with a front pto on a 3416

the clutch material was worn down too far and I glued on some leather with gorilla glue. didn't last long. will epoxy work on this app or am I going to need a new one. also the brake support assmy the brake pads were gone and I had epoxied new leather there and it also did not last long.

Would I be better off looking for an elect pto, if so what rotation direction are they looking for from the seat or the front looking at it

thanks mike

I just checked and found the new clutch plate with lining lists for $114. Have no idea how much an electric clutch is but if you get a new clutch plate for the manual clutch (if you can't get a repair to work on the old one) you'd have a clutch that will probably last another 40 years with no cobble work. I think the part with the brake linings on it is NLA but you should he ab Le to get a repair to work there since those pads only have to work a few seconds at a time.

The piece with the material pads on my front clutch were in good shape but got rusty underneath and fell off from the previous owner leaving it outside so I sandblasted both the back of the material pads and steel part and used JB weld and that worked. It would probably work with leather too I would think.

I have made rear PTO clutches and I glue my leather on with contact cement. The one on my 716H was installed 3 years ago and still works like it did when installed.

Put a thin coat of contact cement on both the leather and the metal. Let them sit for 15-20 minutes then put the leather lining on the metal part. Just remember one thing: With contact cement the parts are instantly stuck together when they touch. Formica countertop adhesive is a fantastic contact cement. I just use 3M contact cement and it seems to work fine.

Gorilla Glue has never worked well on anything I have used it on.

I wouldn't use epoxy because a buildup is not necessary and some epoxies will soften with heat.

I use contact cement because it is cheap and works.

That is my 2cents. Use whatever you want.

Brake Clutch and Drum service, Milwaukee WI, 414 - 476 - 2292 , Scott Mohr used to reline warranty ones for Simplicity , You might want to contact them.