Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Whatcha thunk? A Honda in a Sovereign?

Burntime

Anyone have an opinion on putting a new gx670 24hp Honda in a sovereign? Looks like torque is 37.5 lbs so 5.6 lbs more than a 20hp command and more than the 18 command. Power is there, torque is there. Hondas are supposed to be quieter (I would miss the Harley sound.) and better on fuel. I bet the snowthrower could really be sped up!:D

He is the reason I am considering it. He has the old style 20hp and said its smoother and less gas than his command. I am thinking the extra torque and ponies will do well.

Hey Michael,

As an alternative re-power, maybe consider one of these Chinese diesel clones that numerous sellers on ePay are listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/22hp-V-Twin-Small-Diesel-Engine-1499-New-Air-Cooled-1-Shaft-2XPower-of-10hp-/321238861834?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4acb54080a#ht_3772wt_902

If you are looking for better power/torque and fuel economy, then I'd think one of these 22HP V-twins would put the Honda to shame. My guess it is a Yanmar clone. Also it would make for a more "interesting" retrofit project guessing the worst thing to tackle would be a custom machined flywheel to drive shaft adapter.

My brother bought one of the 10HP single China Yanmar diesels a few years back and put it on his JD 32" walk behind blower and it is unstopable (also with increasing the impeller drive ratio ~~ +20%). It starts first pull after sitting each year. He ran it hard for 3 + hours in NE blizzard and it only burned like 1.5 quarts of diesel fuel to boot.

Something to consider.... for 1500 clams or so.

Tom (PK)

Although tempting, I am happy with what the 20hp command did, I was actually looking for a 22 23 or 25hp command and then the Honda showed up. Either way, its a done deal.

The diesel would be one heck of a cool project. But not mine...lol. I found the driveshaft adapter to go from Honda to kohler, but its only .995" long. I have the kohler coupler. Thinking maybe the adapter, to a kt puck, to the kohler coupler may be enough to get to the flywheel screen. Too darn cold to play now being -17. Just where is the warm weather!:D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JD420-FLY-B-H-3-Flywheel-Adapter-for-Onan-B-to-Honda-Engine-GX-JD420-FLY-B-H-/360703652348?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53fb9cf1fchttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Parts-Flywheel-Adapter-for-IH982-Tractor-with-Honda-Engine-Lawnmower-IH982-Fly-H-/360703082508?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53fb94400chttp://www.ebay.com/itm/JD318B-FLY-H-3-3-8-Flywheel-adapter-for-replacing-Onan-with-Hond-JD318B-FLY-H-/360698618047?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53fb5020bfThe last one is 3-3/8" long. The two holes that are threaded go all the way through on mine that I bought from them. Ask them if the holes are 3/8" threaded and if center to center on them is 2/1/2". That is where the flex disk and driveshaft will mount to.You will still more than likely have to make the driveshaft. That is what I had to do to mine. Measure from the flywheel to the screen and see what the distance is.

DSCF1431.jpg

My adaptor was to short. Meaning it didn`t clear the flywheel screen. I have 1" thick nylon sheets. So I cut it a bigger diameter than the aluminum spacer and the bolted it to the spacer where the driveshaft holes are. The nylon is tougher than hell. So I chucked up the adapter in a lathe and machined the nylon to the diameter of the aluminum spacer. It works great.That is the reason that you want to make sure you get one that is long enough from the flywheel to the screen. The driveshaft is nothing to shorten as well. The driveshafts in the B10 or 16hp briggs engines are the longest so you can shorten them.

Ray, that is exactly what I was looking for. I was thinking maybe the driveshaft coupler to a kt puck, then the kohler cone, it just has to make it to the screen like you said.