Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Johnrenk

smacked the curb

Johnrenk

Yep it happened, smacked the curb and the 2010 simple no longer would move. Keys sheared off on the shaft by cluster gears. Below is the repair. Tools used, corse 12" file, fine 12" file, dremil, tig welder, tourch.

100_0951.jpg

, This is the chiped shaft in the key way.

shaft 2.jpg

another pic of chiped shaft heating the shaft prepping for welding to correct distortion, heat to about 400 to 600 deg. F

100_0962.jpg

Welded chip, filed off weld, shined with emery cloth, used dremel to smooth keyway edge.Next after filing 2 hypo keys (top and bottom of shaft) there was still some play in the keyway, tried something different, melted solder on sides of the key to take up the play.

100_0966.jpg

Slide gear on while still hot to make sure clearence is correct after soldering.Very challenging repair, is successful, I don't think the temperature was above 30 degs. and fine tuning the keys took longer than I thought. I did try locating hypo heys no luck part is discontinued and none in stock, led to one thing, make my own. Good luck if someone wants to try the same repair, it does work.Also make sure you clean the cluster to find all the broken peaces. They hang up in the greese.

100_0951.jpg.bfb5b59bbf4d4ac041dd8a675fe1730d.jpg

57e0591cec5c9_shaft2.jpg.71cbb6381d05f4f2b3df435637b4a490.jpg

100_0962.jpg.fa85c6fe70bcd97d9232c3140f897716.jpg

100_0966.jpg.0893ab5a41194bbfe4c5b5464a2dbd5f.jpg

Johnrenk

Phandad; So far it is holding, snow settled to about 8" crusted on the top snow cone frozen on the bottom, pushed right through, no unwanted noise. With parts getting scarce and expensive to have made I have no other choice but to make it work or repair if possible. Thanks for your comments.

Johnrenk

PS: If someone knows the science behind the 2 lug bolts in the shaft that tightens on a nylon bushing I would sure like to know how to adjust the tightness and the purpose. Thanks in advance.

rokon2813
quote:Originally posted by Johnrenk

PS: If someone knows the science behind the 2 lug bolts in the shaft that tightens on a nylon bushing I would sure like to know how to adjust the tightness and the purpose. Thanks in advance.

id="quote">
id="quote">Traction control adjustment bolts.Should be set to 25 foot pounds for factory specs, the tighter you make them, the closer you get to full posi traction.

Sign in to follow this