Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Help

aspeltz1

I have been using my Bee 10 all winter to snowblow the driveway. It has been doing well with only minor fixes, until today. After just starting out I hear a loud clunking and clattering noise. It sounded like the snowblower ate something so I cut the pto and just as I did the engine died. The snowblower and belt is fine. Now, when I push the starter, the flywheel spins but nothing else going on in the engine. Any ideas, or does anyone have a used 10 or 12 hp for sale?

Sounds like you blew a rod.

Take the spark plug out. Put a wooden dowel in the hole and turn the engine over by hand. Does it turn smoothly?

Is the piston going up and down? Or, is it just sitting at the top of the cylinder?

Joe

You could have easily sheared a flywheel key. To check that just try and turn the pto end of the crankshaft, if the flywheel doesn't turn then you're going to need to check that flywheel key.

Maineman,

With the spark plug off everything turns smoothly. I can't tell if the piston is going up and down but the valve appears to be opening and closing.

ReedS,

Turning the pto end of the crankshaft also turns the flywheel.

A quick test for compression, remove the plug, ground the plug wire (or leave the ignition off) put your thumb over the plug hole, if your con rod is broken you won't feel anything. Almost as easy is just to remove the head and check for piston movement. I also should have said to leave the transmission in gear while checking the flywheel key, but at this point I would check the piston first.

With the plug off, and finger covering the hole, nothing felt. Maybe a little rush of air blowing by the hole.

Flywheel also spins with tractor in gear.

Can't take the head off right now. I have to go to work, plus it's -40 degrees below zero with the wind chill this morning. With an on board trickle charger installed tractor has started every time this winter, except yesterday.

If your able to crank the engine you should hear air pumping out of the spark plug hole,(like a compressor pumping) if not, you can use a pencil in the spark plug hole, crank it by hand with a rachet, does the pencil move up and down, if yes rod is good, put a teaspoon of oil in the plug hole, does it produce more compression, if yes rings are bad if no, valve is stuck or not seating, could be as easy as a piece of carbon under the valve or a bad valve,did you remove the cover at the valves and watch for movement? Best to get it inside to remove the head, if it all checks out, I'd suspect the key in the flywheel. good luck.