Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

snow

yukon

anyone have an idea how to close off the hood vents on my sunstar i had a inch of snow on my battery and the wiring was wet and the air cleaner is right next to it. i would like to close them off just for the winter without messing up the paint.

Whenever you go out to work in the snow, why not just put a throw rug over the vents and hold it on with a couple of bunji cords? That should not hurt the paint and can be lifted off and hung on the wall when finished with the job, or washed and dried before the next usage.

Those vents, if the baffle is in place, allow the engine to breath, and depending upon how it is set up, the air filter too. If the baffle is not in place I am not sure it matters so much. It sounds like it is not in place however, because I don't think snow would be getting where you say it is, were the cowl / baffle in place. You really should have it for sure for the summer months anyway.

They are a plastic cowl / baffle that fits into the rectangular opening at the trans cooler / fan intake, and channels all the air that would come into the vents in the hood, into the air intake. In the summer, it helps to draw only "cold" air into the fan / trans cooler so you aren't pulling in heated engine compartment air. It also keeps grass clippings from being sucked into the system from below. I have seen them sell in the 60 bux range.