Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

old simplicity deck chute

707Simplicity

Hey how hard is it to find a deck chute that fits a big ten and the rock guard? Did these tractors come with them cause I don't think I have ever even seen one

I've seen them for 48" decks on the longer wheel base tractors fairly frequently, but not as often on 42" decks.

It would be easy to make them, though. For the rock guard, get a piece of 1" flat stock, bend it fit in your vise (with a little heat), cut to length, and drill the holes to bolt it on...

You can make a good serviceable chute out of a piece of heavy rubber like the mud guard from a truck. Cut it to the shape you want (curled to fit), drill holes in it, and bolt it on. Some folks have done that so they can get their tractors through the garden gate while leaving the chute on... (Some chutes were spring loaded so you could fold them back temporarily, but some were not.)

quote:Originally posted by 707Simplicity

Hey how hard is it to find a deck chute that fits a big ten and the rock guard? Did these tractors come with them cause I don't think I have ever even seen one

id="quote">
id="quote">On faith that there are no stupid questions, what's a rock guard and where does it go?:I Thanx, Dave

It is a piece of flat stock, goes across the bottom of the deck opening, supposedly to allow clipping to go out over it, but anything you hit heavy, like a rock is supposed to hit it and stop it from flying.

The main reason they are usually missing, is that in heavy or tall grass, the clippings will be slowed down by it and leave clumps or windrows.

Also, without the rock guard and chute, you can get close enough to trees, poles etc to have the blade tip hit them.

Also, without the rock guard and chute, you can get close enough to trees, poles etc to have the blade tip hit them.

Been there, done that!:o