Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

51 R vs 51 battery

DMKNLD

Is there a particular reason the recommended battery replacement for my 71oo series is a 51 type with the terminals reversed? If my battery cables are long enough, is there any reason I couldn't just flip the battery around and use a 51 instead, as I am having trouble finding a 51 R in stock locally?

No problem with just flipping the battery around. Just be sure that there is clearance with the hood or anything else on the opposite side of the battery compartment and that the cables are free and not rubbing on any part of the tractor.

That makes sense about the battery terminal clearance issue. Where the hood slopes somewhat on the edges, that may not leave enough clearance if the terminals are on the outboard side. I think I'll go w/ the 51R just to be safe.

TSC has the cheapest 51 series batteries that I could find in our area at $85 with a core exchange. But I've had less than stellar customer service out of them after calling my local store twice in the last week to confirm that they had one or more available, only to show up an hour later to find none in stock. I may have to on-line order one for delivery to the store.

Hope TSC isn't going the Wally-World route, the reason I don't shop there anymore either.

the last time they refurbished the local Wally-World, The "brains" in AK forgot battery racks in the plan, and they could not squeeze more than 8 feet to replace 32 feet of sales rack. Periodically they would send up a new layout for existing shelving, like the time they sent up a "remod" for picture frames (requiring 52 linear feet of shelf), and we only had 32 feet. And our store wound up with close to 10 skids of stock, that we could not transfer out of our on-hand inventory. Of course the store manager's performance is measured by the average amount of backroom (on-hand) inventory. The same is true for the Assistant Managers.

Back to batteries - On any given Spring weekend day, we sold over 50 tractor batteries. Humm! who was watching the POS stock flow???

OK! I'm done ranting!!!sm00

Just fyi....the 22NF battery is actually the absolutely correct battery and has the tab for the hold down clamp. It can be had in some places for.less money than the 51. Has less cca but is more than enough even in winter.

I had bought one at wally world, it ran everything and auxilary lights for 5 or seven years until the tractor was sold. I thought it was the 51r...

Grinchey one, I concur w/ your W-W assessment. I know they say 'never say never', but I have never shopped in a W-W, at least in the past few years, when there wasn't something I was looking for that was out of stock, to include the 51R battery I was looking for this week.

They make the NSA look like lightweights when it comes to consumer tracking - one would think that when they see they have sold X amount of product in a given day that that would trigger an automatic reorder and / or resupply of that product.

I'm guessing this is a direct result, according to Bloomberg News, of W-W decreasing their employee ranks by 1.4% in the past 5 years, despite a 13% increase in new stores, where they apparently don't want to have pay stockers their minimum wage to restock shelves or re-order depleted stock.

And God forbid you have a service related question and hope to find someone in my local store who is knowledgeable, much less can converse in a language other than Somalian. No surprise that Consumer Reports rates them, bar none, dead last in every consumer product rating article.

I'll end my co-rant also, and just speak w/ my pocket book, or absence of it, in regards to W-W's corporate culture.

quote:Originally posted by DanD

Just fyi....the 22NF battery is actually the absolutely correct battery and has the tab for the hold down clamp. It can be had in some places for.less money than the 51. Has less cca but is more than enough even in winter.

id="quote">
id="quote">I haven't been able to find anyone locally who carries the 22 NF battery, I guess I could order one on-line. My thought was to use a rubber tie down strap or 2 over the battery to secure the 51R battery.

In central Maine you can find the 22N at NAPA Auto Parts. I've bought two from the one in Farmingdale, both have been in use a couple years now and are work well even in winter.

I have two tractors with the 51 batteries, one is a 51 and the other is a 51R. If the cables fit, then it doesn't matter which you use. I would suggest that anyone who uses one of these batteries should fabricate a hold-down, since the factory clamp doesn't work on them.