Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New Forum Member -Allis 616H

brampton02gt

Hi everyone, I have an old 616h I am currently working on. I am looking for information on changing the hydrostat oil and transmission oil. How much and what types of oil. How do I find the drain plugs?

thanks. I will work on posting some pics

Welcome to the club. There are two types of hydros, the Vickers and the Sundstrand. The Vickers is in the older tractors, Sundstrand is in the newer. On the Vickers, there is no drain plug, just disconnect the lower hose from the reservoir. The Vickers filter is readily available I believe it's a NAPA 13, The Vickers takes Dexron autotransmission fluid, and there is one brand for older vehicles. I think it's made by Lucas. I got it at Autozone. Fill the reservoir to the level of the top hose. Disconnect the spark plug wire and turn the engine over a bit to fill the motor and cooler properly and bleed any air out. Then top it off and you should be good to go. As for Sundstrand, if that's what you have, I'm sure one of the guys will jump in.

Look at the trans and rear from the back of the tractor, and you will see the drain plugs. Rear will take about 90w gear oil. Good luck and have fun!

Bob

There are 2 different versions of the Allis 616, both can be hydro. The one is a lawn tractor with a Briggs & Stratton vertical shaft twin cylinder engine and the other is a Powermax series which would have a Onan horizontal shaft twin cylinder engine.

Dan

quote:Originally posted by PeppyDan

There are 2 different versions of the Allis 616, both can be hydro. The one is a lawn tractor with a Briggs & Stratton vertical shaft twin cylinder engine and the other is a Powermax series which would have a Onan horizontal shaft twin cylinder engine.Dan

id="quote">
id="quote">If you have the older model, here you go. Simplicity Product number 990705, Series 4040, Years built 1972, 1973 AC Product number 1600185, series 616, 16.5 HP Hydro Ind/Ag Tractors

Curtis; your 616H is the same as a Simplicity 5216H. Google Simplicity manuals and open the site. Type 1600887 into the search space. It will bring up a parts manual and an owners manual which you can download and save....Dave