Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Here is a stumper for all...

superbman101

This weekend Matt and James manager to pick up a few more tractors... Yes I'm running out of room :pNate had a motor with this muffler on it:

Found Muffler no Hole.jpg

Does anyone have any information on these? Osenga Showed me an Interesting muffler on a poster he had:

Muffler Hole.jpg

57e0592023a1d_FoundMufflernoHole.jpg.9b36da42f1095ed6e1417e544495b1fd.jpg

57e0592036607_MufflerHole.jpg.c5cbf847e24057eb3295f6b41325b03f.jpg

Its an early Nelson...there were two varieties.....the thpe you reproduce and that type. I think thats just an earlier, simpler design. You see the often on walk behinds.

Is there an honest demand for these? I was thinking about making 50 of these for that special group of collectors?

From what I know these were used on the late version of B-1's and the early version of the early model B-10's (the ones with no pins on the hood thumb screws). The early version of the B-1's (ones with oil bath air cleaners) used a similar muffler that was about 1-1/2 inches shorter.

These are collectable to the handful of people who get into crazy little details of originality... otherwise almost no one knows or cares anything about them.

The walk behinds using model 14/19D briggs up through about 1962 (VC)used the shorter version.

Dan

It's less parts and less welding. Just machining the hole pattern on a mill. I'll see what I can do. Thinking same price on these as the single hole Cans. I think if I make a small run of 50 of these it will be enough for all the walk-behind, b1 and early b10 owners sm01

and they would probably be happier with the ones you already sell. since the later style is an improvement over a bunch of holes drilled in sheet metal.

My Dads 64 Landlord had that muffler too...I think all prior to the B12/late B10's had these [or there about] sm01 I think they look more interesting. sm01

I have never had one on a machine. It's possible mufflers had been replaced, but a few of my older machines are in great shape...I can't imagine the Nelson rotted out on them. I've had these '64 and earlier machines with the Nelson we're used to seeing:

WB700

725 X2

LL

B-1

I wonder if that type was more prone to hacing the outlet toasted out of them? It doesn't look like as effective of a design.

I had one, it seemed louder to me and more of a cracking sound. Hey, if someone wants em...I don't see it, but you just never know...