Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

SS wiring harness

huffy

Anyone know where I can get a new one? Part # 1679878. Jack's shows them as nla. There's a used one on eBay, but it looks pretty ratty.

Mine's so old that the insulation on the wires is hard and breaking down. Starting to get a lot of shorts. Getting to the point where it's got more electrical tape on it than original insulation.

I plan to tear the SS down this spring and give the motor, paint, etc, a freshen up. Would like to redo the wiring with a new harness while I've got it apart, if I can find one.

There are several parts sites that come up with that main harness # from a google search. It's been many a year since I built one from scratch, yet that could be the most cost-effective way to go! NAPA usually has a good stock of wire (automotive grade) in most popular colors. A good project in front of a warm woodstove (this time of the year).

If that harness is that bad, you could call the tech people at Simplicity, plead your case and see if you can get an electronic drawing, the go get a quote from a wire manufacturer to have on made.

In Wisconsin for instance, I head that are more a dozen firms involved with that. I did business with a firm called Schofield Enterprises, http://www.schofieldenterprises.com/WebPages.cfm?action=viewCat&BIZ_UNL_id=1695 that possilby could do it. Your other bet is looking for a donor tractor.

I thought about making one. But I've looked around at a few of the auto parts stores in town and none of them carry some of the plugs like are on mine. Maybe I'll see if I can get them through McMaster Carr or something.

My local dealer said that it's not uncommon for the insulation on those wiring harnesses to get pretty bad by the time the machines get to be as old as mine. I think part of the problem is that the hood on the SS is pretty closed up. It gets pretty darn hot in there, especially during the summer when you spend a good part of a Saturday mowing. I'm thinking that when I redo the SS this summer I may add some more vents, or maybe put in a little 12V fan to keep air circulating in there.

My harness for my SS was junk, corrosion, broken wires, defeated switches, etc, but I was able to find a pretty good one on Ebay from Joes Outdoor Power when he was parting out several Sunstars. You might be taking a chance, but you might be pleasantly surprised.

• 2 weeks later...

As long as it works. Most wire harnesses were assembled using plywood sheets and nails. I don't know how they do it now but even when I retired complex harnesses weren't that allful expensive when you bought 50 or more at a time. Ya wonder what the care people pay for them.:D

quote:Originally posted by BLT

As long as it works. Most wire harnesses were assembled using plywood sheets and nails. I don't know how they do it now but even when I retired complex harnesses weren't that allful expensive when you bought 50 or more at a time. Ya wonder what the care people pay for them.:D

id="quote">
id="quote">Bob, I deliver to shops that still use the "plywood and nails" method. You just can't improve some things, and its great to see small manufacturing is still alive and well, at least around here. I've delivered to dozens of them. Dave

quote:even when I retired complex harnesses weren't that allful expensive when you bought 50 or more at a time. id="quote">
id="quote">

Just wiring the motor, lights, PTO, ammeter, and a few other little things - and leaving out the 9000 feet of wire needed to hook up all those pesky sensors and other junk - cuts out a lot of 'spensive copper.