Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

snowblower troubles?

ac712

okay fellas, here is another stupid question. i have a blower for my 912 runs off the front pto. i tried it out last week for the first time, wasn't wet heavy snow, but wasn't fluff either. the blower would only throw the snow about 6-8'. is this normal?? now i will say there was only about 3-4 inches, the blower turns very fast and wasn't bogged down. i did have the top of the chute turned down very slightly. my neighbor has a walk behind snowblower and was out the same time i was and was throwing snow at least twice as far. :( where should i start looking, or is this normal? not sure if it would do better with more snow?

3" - 4" isn`t much snow and you have to run the tractor as fast as it will go to throw it very far with those depths and the deflector about all the way up. These Single stage blowers will throw it further with deeper depths.

It will also throw it further with the smaller pulleys used in the 1960`s.

I look at it like this. They are better than a shovel and a plow. A foot of snow and mine will throw it 20` to 25` plus. with the smaller pulley it will throw it further. I personally don`t care because I don`t have to shovel it and have a heart attack. I had a friend that died last year shoveling snow.

They are not 2 stage blowers but will move stuff 2 stage blowers won`t. Who cares if you can`t knock out the neighbors picture window as long as the snow is out of the drive:D. The 36" blowers throw it further than the 42" blowers all day long.

6` to 8` and another pass and it is another 6` to 8` further away.

i agree with Ray. way better than a shovel. when you have a small amout of snow you have to hit it like it stole something. and unless its real windy and you dont have a cab there isnt a reason to have the deflector anywhere but wide open.

7116, 42" blower, mid pto

i added rubber flaps on mine and i saw an immediate improvement. besides that...all stock set up and running at ALMOST full throttle. i save a bit for the deep(12"+) stuff or drift busting.

it will sling medium density snow 30' up and 30' outward. and IMO the round chute blowers are better....less restriction.

i also have a 2 stage shaft driven blower on the MTD 995 and the Simplicity stomps all over it. faster and moves snow further.

As someone who uses a plow, this thread intrigued me. The concept of my snow blower throws snow farther than yours conjures up visions of a torrent of snow blowing the neighbor right over as he stands in his driveway. Forgive me - I am a visual person, so I can well imagine the difference between a "weak stream" and that torrent.

I'd fall on the side of "it's no longer where it was, and when I am done it won't be in my way," though I can also appreciate that one may desire it to go further. With a plow, my objective is to move it 12 feet total to clear the driveway to one side (with heavier snows I go 50/50). Using your observed numbers, blowing to one side only will require blowing the snow two or three times. With my plow, I have to plow already plowed snow maybe 7 to 8 times to move it over 12'.

Maybe I am biased because you're way ahead of me already :D

my 20hp Landlord DLX with 42" blower has been launching this Northern IL snow 30-40' all winter so far. its so amazing what a great running tractor/blower combo will do

Here is one of my favorite pictures of my old Sovereign with one of my 42" single stage blowers. This one has the front PTO. My newer one runs off the center PTO. This picture depicts the performance I get from the single stage blowers with no modifications. Works well enough for me...just like many of the other posts suggest. I have no trouble with wet, heavy snow either. Just keep a good stream going through and you'll be fine. When you're just diddling around is when you'll plug them up, if ever.

Sovereign blower.jpg

57e05fd68dbf4_Sovereignblower.jpg.2e7b25f7f5a7e58ead5bca1f1278bde3.jpg

Ditto to everything said. This is my 1st year with the blower on the Sovereign and in 4" I have to use 2nd gear (I have a 3speed to replace the busted shuttle it came with) to get any distance.

This video is my 1st attempt with it in medium snow and you can see that it doesn't throw very far. The next go around, I used 2nd gear instead of 1st and it was throwing well over 15 feet.

I was just wondering, would the augers in a snowblower that runs off of a tractor with a front clutch spin faster than a snowblower that runs off of the gear box pto with the long belt because the front clutch pulley is bigger than the cone clutch pulley. I have a 42inch snowblower that I use on a 7116 that runs off the gear box pto but I think I'll try it on my 7016 with the front clutch.

quote:Originally posted by curlett

I was just wondering, would the augers in a snowblower that runs off of a tractor with a front clutch spin faster than a snowblower that runs off of the gear box pto with the long belt because the front clutch pulley is bigger than the cone clutch pulley. I have a 42inch snowblower that I use on a 7116 that runs off the gear box pto but I think I'll try it on my 7016 with the front clutch.

id="quote">
id="quote">It should run a little faster using the front PTO just as you described. The gear box is a 1:1 ratio so the pulley on the gear box is turning at just engine RPM. Since it is smaller than the front PTO pulley, the blower will run a little faster with the front PTO set up. If you change your blower from a mid PTO to a front PTO tractor, be sure to flip the driven pulley on the blower over so that the hub is in and the pulley is centered.

I have hooked up the snowblower to both tractors and engaged it on both without flipping the pulley and didn't have any problems. I never knew you were supposed to flip it. I haven't blown any snow with the front pto setup yet but I have blown a lot of snow with the 7116 mid pto setup . I did notice the pulleys don't line up perfectly on the 7116 but its not off by much and it hasn't hurt the belt and the belt has never jumped off. Will not flipping the pulley potentially damage something?

Just belt wear where it does not line up. Of course it will jump off if its too far off. The straighter the shot, the more hp to do the work.

It's all about the speed of the tractor from a little snow to a lot. I love my single stage blower. Yesterday we got I foot and with my variable speed drive I set the speed just right and was throwing 15-20feet. I swear this blower can throw anything. From heavy wet with water from rain after snowing. Granted made a few snow cylinders but always gets the job done! The banks on the main drive way don't get to high because it throws so far.

Yeah...I found that the blower has to be loaded with snow to really do much. when I'd hit 2" deep snow, it'd just spit it out a bit, but hit 5"+ and it'd make a big old rooster tail as it should.

When I first had my 42" blower on my HB116 it was good speed and could throw sometimes if it was in the mood for it. One thing I found after a while is that it never seriously bogged the engine and it would clog easy. Later on I found out that it needed a 5/8" wide belt that was a little shorter to pull the spring tension. Now it eats anything the engine can drive and the blower can stall the engine before it clogs with enough throw to make me pay attention to neighbor's windows. If I want I can throw all my snow from my back yard over my 15' tree row into the neighbors back yard ;) In the driveway it makes reason to work the neighborhood for more seat time. Do mine, do the spray on the neighbor's, do the next neighbor's etc. Last time made money and a pot of soup from the neighbors unsolicited. :D