Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Landlord 101 Front Axle Loose

ss74nova

Landlord 101 Front Axle LooseAnyone know how to tighten the 2 nuts that hold the angle iron piece to the frame without pulling the engine? I can't seem to get a wrench under the engine to hold the bolts on top of the frame while I tighten the nuts under the frame.:(Thanks

CIMG2701.jpg

CIMG2701.jpg.4e07496e2e993664cd30c440344a7075.jpg

I got lucky with mine and they held. Looks like you might get lucky with a needle nose vice grip and try to hold them just enough till they get tight.

B110guy

well, i would try a quick zip with a impact and if that didnt' work id take the nut off, clean it and or try a die on it to clean the threads really good.

then re try. ive had mine apart and tighented things up and loctited them as well.

Thanks Marty. I'll give that a try. I almost forgot I had a set of tappet wrenches although they're kind of long I'll give it a try.

i read that post you guys linked to, one thing i think id do differnt with the dremel approach though.

do as they say to cut the slot and of course clean the threads, then instead of a screwdriver id use a flat blade bit socket if you have one. that way you can hold the nut and turn the bolt some leverage seeing as you may use a locking nut.

personally id go with a lock washer and nut plus loctite though.

Got 9" of snow today. With the snow today I took off work. Usually I have an hour drive to work but days like these could be much longer or not make it at all. Was able to work on the LL 101. The impact gun trick didn't work & there was no way to hold the bolt. I took the nuts off & put vice grips on the bolt to hold it, then I took my muffler cutter & cut a slot in the bolts about 3/16 to 1/4 inch deep. The left nut went on the easiest. I was able to hold the bolt with just the screwdriver & tighten it with a wrench, after it tightened some I didn't need the screwdriver the bolt just locked in place.dOd The right nut wasn't as easy. I had to put vice grips on the screwdriver to hold it as the bolt wanted to turn as I tightened the nut. You need a stout flat screwdriver to do this because there is a lot of tension on it as you try to tighten the nut. While I was there I tightened the backlash on the steering gear also. Still some play on the draglink & tierod ends, but the steering feels really good now. Everything worked out great!:J Here are some pics & tools I used.Tim

CIMG2713.jpg

CIMG2714.jpg

CIMG2713.jpg.53f4c37d159ef0276b3f41856e6ad4ed.jpg

CIMG2714.jpg.4e550a62da15f73321a991279d5b6b58.jpg

That's a nice clean slot - almost like it was always there. Great job and just in time. It's sad having a lot of work to do and the tool breaks. Bet you put it to work pronto.

Thanks Don. Hopefully I can get it back in shape soon. There's nothing really major to fix on it. I want to mount & test my snowblower from my 64LL on this one before we run out of snow & winter is over.