Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Front mount dethatcher?

rich_kildow

The leaves stayed on late and winter came early/fast this year, so I never did get them picked up in the fall. I usually use my 7116 with the vac/cart and gator blades which works great, but I'm concerned that it won't pick them up after having all this snow on them all winter...and I'm not raking almost an acre with huge oak trees. Has anybody adapted a front mount dethatcher to work with a large frame, or anything similar? I know there are tow behind ones but if I'm going to spend the money, might as well do it right and clean it up in one pass.

Im guessing you are referencing the nonpowered type? Should be easy enough....someone here has to have pictures of that adaptation.

Simplicity in past has offered a front mount and there may be NOS out there. If not, Sears & Home Depot sell ag-fab front mount dethatcher that could be adapted.

While I'd gladly pony up for an easy rake (and a Kwik-Way loader, while we're at it) this is definitely the unpowered type. I know I'll need 360 degree swivel wheels on the front and some ability to adjust height. I was just curious if somebody else had already invented the wheel.

Rich, Before you go through all the work of attaching a dethatcher you should vac some leaves. You will be amazed how well that deep dish deck will pick up those wet matted down leaves and front dethatching is one messy job for the operator dirt flies everywhere. Can I say that Simplicity movers really suck?!?!.

Hoss, I was thinking that after posting this. Worst case the vac won't do it and I run to L&M or Farm and Fleet, pick one up, and spend an hour or 2 to fab up a mount.