Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
drbrian722

Dozer vs. Spring Trip Blade

drbrian722

Last fall I was using a spring trip dozer blade on my Sovereign to move some dirt around and it seems to trip with just the slightest amount of resistance, which I assume is how it's supposed to be. [i have 2 of the 46" spring trips and a 42" spring trip on a Conquest and they all behave the same.] I know that a non-spring trip blade was also made. My thinking is that the non-spring trip may work better for my purposes of moving loose dirt.

If anyone's used both I would be interested in their opinion.

Thanks!

huffy

You could always put a bit stiffer springs on.

I prefer the spring trip just in case I do hit a hidden rock or stump. Plus, my spring trip adjusts from the seat; I've got to get off to adjust the fixed plow, and I'm lazy. My spring trip is also 4" wider than the fixed blade, which makes a big difference in time.

Gordan

Hm, mine doesn't tend to trip with just the slightest amount of resistance; usually it takes a well-embedded rock or catching on some well-compacted soil. Regardless; I haven't looked at it closely but I would think that there should be some relatively simple way to "thwart" the spring-trip mechanism and fix it in place?

Burntime

Yep, tighten the springs and let er rip! Mine was set tight and only folded under extremes. Of course, I graded dirt and bark with mine. I think the spring trip also saves the machine some what. The solid blades really resonate a dead stop...ie...you are the thing that trips forward!:D

Talntedmrgreen

I hooked a ratchet strap to my trip blade, when I was trying to move sod. It would trip, and with the strap, I adjusted that so it would still trip only a few inches. It gave some flaxibility when I hit hard, but allowed me to continue pushing/digging as I wished. Tightening the springs did not give enough resistance. They work fine for loose stuff, but it depends what you're trying to accomplish...and then you have to ask yourself if the abuse is worth it, or if you need a bigger hammer for the job. ;)

Burntime

Maybe just add new or bigger springs. My guess is the more you trip em, the weeker they get! Mine had a sheet of aluminum across the face, I was going to remove it but in haste just hooked it up. Boy, did that make a difference in clay type dirt, it came much cleaner! Just a heads up!dOd

drbrian722

Thanks for the replies, very helpful! I think I'll try tightening the springs and see how that works out for me. Unfortunately, I'm stuck in snow mode so it will have to wait a little while.

Over the winter I managed to acquire a sleeve hitch box blade with teeth that may be able to loosen things up a bit so the plow can move more material.

Thanks again!

HubbardRA

My Bolens spring-trip blade has two braces that overlap in the area of the springs. I drilled holes through these braces and installed bolts. With the bolts installed it is solid with no spring-trip. Remove the two bolts and the spring-trip works again.

The solid mounted blades work best for moving dirt, or at least that has been my experience.

GrincheyOne

I like the spring trip, since I can slide a wedge between the back brace of the blade and the mount. That way I can cant the blade and use it for "back draging", which works well to straighten the "modified" on my driveway. Also good for getting that last inch of snow gathered.

Wayne

donmoore1904

I guess this is preference to an extent. I like the spring release of my dozer blade, because I seem to hit something solid once or twice a year. Better the plow release than the axle keyways be stressed IMO. I use it only for snow, and it doesn't show any sign of tripping unless I hit something solid that it needs to trip for. Hopefully adjusting the springs will do the trick.