Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

42" blower pulley help

cj93z

I have a 7117h and it came with an older 42" blower with the two pulley hitch. I didn't have a front PTO so I got an electric one from a cub cadet. The PTO works great but it only has a 4 1/2" pulley. I now have two problems:

1. The blower runs too slow because of the small PTO pulley. I read I can go from a 7" to a 5" on the blower but I wonder if I should go even smaller since I have a smaller PTO pulley? If someone could recommend a pulley and belt combo it would be great. I'm currently running a 173037 belt.

2. The belt likes to jump off and roll when I engage the electric PTO. I don't know if it's just because I have the smaller PTO pulley. I can't do a slow engagement like I could with the center PTO.

Thanks for any help!!!!

Running the front pto the blower should have a 5 or 5.5 inch pulley. I dont know if you could go much smaller. How big is the clutch pulley? You could pull the side off and go smaller on the gear on the auger as well. I thought the front pulley was 3.5 inch but you would have to double check.

The actual pulley diameter for a 1960`S FDT from the factory is 4-1/4". Since a 4-1/4" pulley is next to impossible to get unless you find a stock pulley supplied by Simplicity, people use 4" and 4-1/2" pulleys for the FTD`s.

Since you have a 4-1/2" electric clutch pulley you can change the diameter of the snowblower pulley to 5" or 5-1/2" mention above to speed it up. It is one or the other size on a FDT blower.

You may have to fabricate some belt stops to keep the belt from jumping off the pulley.

I wouldn`t bother changing the sprocket. They jumped back and forth from 106757 and 106860 part number on 36" and 42" blowers between the FDT`s and RBT`s blowers (some of the36" and 42" used the same number). Not sure they could make up their own minds on the sprocket. The big main sprocket is 106653 on all of them from what I have looked up.

why aren't you using the proper pto for the job

would have been a lot cheaper than an electric clutch

your tractor is set up to use the same pto as the mower deck

He has the two pulley hitch, Ron. With all of the changing of pulleys and the electric clutch, it may have been, or still may be, easier to just change to the single pulley hitch and belt set up.

I was able to find the electric clutch for $40 on ebay. The cheapest single pulley hitch was around $100 plus I'd have to find the super long belt. If I can't get the front PTO to work well I'll have to switch to the mid PTO.

I bought a 5" pulley last night so we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for all the replies!

I did not even notice its a 7100, yes, ditch the set up, get a single pulley hitch, and never look back. You will be happier with it for sure. Tools cost something, I am not knocking you for trying to save a buck, but I agree with the above posts. Do it right and you will be doing victory laps and arm pumps! You will actually enjoy snowthrowing, early in the season at least!:D Late season, not so much! LOL.

Can I run a rear vac/blower with the snow blower power off the mid PTO? I'm thinking of setting up the vac that that came with the tractor to work as a rear blower to get the last bit of snow off the driveway.

Easy to replace the large driven sprocket on the auger and you don't have worry about belt length, stops, or guides. You can get about any size (in terms of # of teeth) sprocket from McMaster Carr to get the desired RPM. A smaller sprocket will mean also shortening the roller chain. I have been pleased by increasing the RPM by ~10%-15% over the factory setup.

It appears that the 5/8' PTO drive groove is avaiable to drive a tractor mounted blower. Download a 1690503 manual and it will give you an idea.

I'm going to give the 5" blower pulley a shot today. I was running a 66" belt before so I got a 65,64,63 & 62 and we'll see if one of them works. I'll report back later. If it doesn't work I've found a couple of the mid pto setups a couple of hours from me.

Does anyone have any tips for engaging the electric pto? Should the engine be running slow or fast? I was thinking about trying to start the tractor with the pto engaged but I don't know if it can do it.

Thanks again for all the help!

quote:Originally posted by cj93z

Does anyone have any tips for engaging the electric pto? Should the engine be running slow or fast? I was thinking about trying to start the tractor with the pto engaged but I don't know if it can do it.Thanks again for all the help!If it doesn't work I've found a couple of the mid pto setups a couple of hours from me.

id="quote">
id="quote">If you go with mid PTO, be sure you get tractor LH side platethat attaches to BGB and trans-axle. You will also need to covert your blower hitch to a single pulley arrangement.http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/jgEAGP_esN3tG5Exj7mRgtLvBCd6.pdfHere is a typical installation and operation manual. As it might not directly apply to your clutch, it will give you a jist of things.http://www.altraliterature.com/pdfs/819-0457_P-1177.pdf

I ended up buying the correct hitch and blower from a nice older gentleman about 1 1/2 hours from me. From my initial testing it seems to work great. It will get a real test tomorrow when I clean what the nor'easter dropped on me :)

20140212_170712.jpg

Thanks! It is in really nice shape, just wish it had the hydro lift :) Maybe someday...

quote:Originally posted by dhoadley

Nice lookin' set up.dOd

id="quote">
id="quote">

I've been running the electric clutch setup on my HB116 pretty well all year(in fact longer but the snow hasn't been a factor til this year). It needed different size idler pulleys to get the track right and a little angle work. Keep in mind if you have any horsepower I would wholeheartedly reccomend going to a 5/8" belt. A 10hp engine will not beat on the belt too badly but a 14 or 16 can go through a 1/2" belt pretty quick. With this setup I have made it through several foot-deep wet snows driving hard enough to nearly stall the 16 hp engine and NO auger clogs other than the neighbor's tree shed a branch into the snow once. The controller is magnet mounted waterproof and plug and play ;)

Image0045_zps452a00a7.jpg

If the belt is too long or too short you will have problems. Too long will keep it from having tension and too short will affect alignment of the moving idler.

• 7 months later...

I’m looking to buy this blower for a Simplicity 7119.

9ED6DA66-5856-4F2D-9D9E-118427C5CFC4_zpsqeijpyur.jpg

B4425CF4-E2F4-461B-A3B8-CAA57349CDFA_zpssbsbybvi.jpg

(Sorry for the low res pictures)

The current owner of this snow blower used it on a 1978 7016 with the front crankshaft PTO / Mule drive.

The 7119 tractor that I am getting doesn't have the front PTO. Will this blower work with the mower deck PTO?

Stanirocz,Yes, but you need either a single pulley hitch to run off the mid PTO

single_pulley.JPG

(RayS, our Pres has made these in the past for sale; maybe he still has some for sale. I don't see them listed in the classifieds.)Or install a mechanical or electric PTO on the front.PS - IMO, it would have been better to start a new post with your question.

single_pulley.JPG.49e0f4ceaa09d73a8b65dd3ab56388e7.JPG

Thanks PhanDad, I will PM Ray about that part.

Sorry I thought the discussion was related so I replied to this thread, and,,, I thought it would be better to show that I at least tried to search for the information rather than trying to be spoon fed :) I’m new to this forum and still learning a lot.

Thanks

That blower will actually be a 42" at most. That is the largest made for the 7119 / large frame Sovereign Series. If it is being advertised as a 48", then that is either the wrong blower with the right picture, or it is simply a false misrepresentation, either deliberate or accidental.