Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

hoss5350

1665440 V pulley repair

hoss5350

I have checked the resources trying to find a affordable aftermarket v belt pulley replacement for the 1665440, the rear idler below the BGB, but no luck. Mine is getting noisy but should make the rest of the winter. I haven't taken it off to look real close to find out if the center bearing can be pressed out and replaced. Has anyone tried this or is it a lost cause?

RayS

I have good used ones, access to aftermarket and the bearing will not press out. It is welded in the V all the way around. You can cut the weld out of the V with a vertical bandsaw, and then replace the bearing and reweld in the V of the idler. It would be a lot easier and cheaper to buy a new one after spending that amount of time to cut, weld and get a new bearing and they last 30 years.

hoss5350

This pulley is on my GTH-L, it is the rear pulley that the PTO belt goes to after coming off the BGB it is not the flat pulley that needs to be moved when swapping between mower and blower. The only ones I have found new are $43.00, I was hoping to replace it with a new one. Hopefully never need to replace it again.

spitz

I dug this topic up while searching for the same pulley:  the rear PTO idler for a sovereign / 7100 tractor, part number 1665440.  The bearing in mine somehow became loose inside the pulley.  Like everyone else, paying $55 for the official one seemed excessive.  Here's what I found: Stens 275-272 aka AYP 101344L.  Its the same size but has the spacer already on it.  Bought one on Amazon for less than $20.  It showed up last week and it fits perfectly.  The only difference I found was that the factory spacer may be 1/32 taller than the replacement I used.  Pics are below...

IMG_20190126_075615.jpg

IMG_20190126_080045.jpg

IMG_20190126_080945.jpg

IMG_20190126_080904_1.jpg

IMG_20190127_170408.jpg

IMG_20190127_170401.jpg

Edited by spitz

GregB

Thanks for the info.

If you wipe off the grease grass buildup on the surface behind and expose the red and green, you can check if the tension setting is correct.

Edited by GregB

Bill725

On 2 piece stamped steel pulleys, I have taken a die grinder and carefully ground the heads off the rivets and punched the rivets out, replaced the bearing and used machine screws with nylock nuts to hold the pulley halves together.

AC716

I have taken the flat idlers and the v belt pulleys apart on my AC716 and the bearings were the same 6203zz. $6.58 plus shipping from VXB bearings in Cali. when i bought mine last year.