Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
laytonlight

Differential Diagnosis?

laytonlight

OK guys, here I am looking for help once again. Just finished pushing snow from a 10" snowfall we had yesterday on the 64 Landlord Mutt (3 speed transmission) and I heard a clunking sound and the drive slipped. It did it a couple of times but then kept moving. Then it did it again and stopped and in any forward gear I would get the clunking sound and no movement. Reverse worked fine. (I Backed it back into the garage.) I'm thinking it's the differential. I checked the axle tube and it looks fine and it doesn't sound like it's coming from the transmission. I can't watch it when it's in drive and when I jack it up and put it in drive there's no resistance so it turns OK. I'm also wondering if it could be slippage in the locking collar, causing the axle shaft to slip away from the differential causing it to not engage. But wouldn't it do it in both forward and reverse? I can't tell where it is on the shaft as I have the wheel weights on it. I'll be taking those off to check, but I thought I'd check here on my thoughts thus far prior to doing that.Any help is appreciated, and since everyone likes pictures, here she is just before the failure!

DSCF1759-sm.jpg

DSCF1759-sm.jpg.28c253451b5943cad50635c03fd866c9.jpg

ss74nova

Don't know if this will fix it but you can try to tighten the locking collar. Jack the rear up so the tires are off the ground, loosen the square head set screw on the locking collar on the left axle. Push the right axle & wheel assembly inward. Slide the locking collar on the left axle inward all the way & tighten the square head set screw. Lower tractor & see if it helped. You would think though that reverse wouldn't work either & if it was a sheared axle key it wouldn't work. Hope this helps. Maybe someone else knows more.

Tim

littlemarv

Heres a thought-The bolts on this diff were loose, and wore the holes oblong. This allowed the planetary gears to move away from the sun gear, resulting in grinding and no-longer-movingness.

worn diff 001.jpg

Welded the holes shut and redrilled them, good as new.

diff assy 001.jpg

57e05fdad1824_worndiff001.jpg.986772db8bf390f4efbdaad8c6f964e0.jpg

57e05fdae7dc3_diffassy001.jpg.9fa0b5cb70a94542ad6b1a0c6b3ea119.jpg

laytonlight
quote:Originally posted by littlemarv

Heres a thought-The bolts on this diff were loose, and wore the holes oblong. This allowed the planetary gears to move away from the sun gear, resulting in grinding and no-longer-movingness.

id="quote">
id="quote">Thanks Marv, but would this explain it working in reverse and not forward?

laytonlight
quote:Originally posted by ss74nova

Don't know if this will fix it but you can try to tighten the locking collar. Jack the rear up so the tires are off the ground, loosen the square head set screw on the locking collar on the left axle. Push the right axle & wheel assembly inward. Slide the locking collar on the left axle inward all the way & tighten the square head set screw. Lower tractor & see if it helped. You would think though that reverse wouldn't work either & if it was a sheared axle key it wouldn't work. Hope this helps. Maybe someone else knows more.Tim

id="quote">
id="quote">Thanks Tim,As this may be the easiest to check, I think I'll look at this first. I'm not sure why it would work in reverse, maybe the torque on the axle in reverse moves it back into the pinion gears? Or it may be the transmission after all. Looking for any theories or ideas at this point. :(

meck

That side piece on the differential where the holes wear from side force seems to be a little thin to me. When my holes wore oblong and started stripping the gears, I welded on an extra piece of 1/8" plate before redrilling the holes. I've had no trouble since (15 years).

gwiseman

Layton

I think you're on the right track. My guess is a key or differential. I'm curious though. Either way I may have used parts under the tarp out back. LMK gw

littlemarv

It could work in reverse and not forward, as the slots are worn diagonal. When moving forward, the gears rotate and push the bolts away from the sun gear. When backing up, they turn the other way and hold the gears tight so no grinding or skipping. The diff quit on mine going forward, I think I backed it onto the trailer....

laytonlight
quote:Originally posted by littlemarv

It could work in reverse and not forward, as the slots are worn diagonal. When moving forward, the gears rotate and push the bolts away from the sun gear. When backing up, they turn the other way and hold the gears tight so no grinding or skipping. The diff quit on mine going forward, I think I backed it onto the trailer....

id="quote">
id="quote">Sounds like a good place to start looking then. Thanks for the information. Now if I can just get the weather to cooperate and hold off any more snow until I get it fixed... Yea, right.

laytonlight
quote:Originally posted by gwiseman

LaytonI think you're on the right track. My guess is a key or differential. I'm curious though. Either way I may have used parts under the tarp out back. LMK gw

id="quote">
id="quote">Thanks Gene, I sent you a PM. Going to tear into it tomorrow night. In an unheated garage. I guess that's why they made Carharts! sm02

jrmorrill

Old thread but very helpful to me last night. 

After snowblowing my diff, on a 1966 Landlord 2010, started making rumbling noises and jerking forward. It would go in reverse a little better but never the less the machine was stuck at the end of my 120 ft driveway at the roadside. I pulled it back to the garage with my truck.

I pulled apart the diff and noted the elongated holes just like those pictured above. Instead of welding I used 18ga steel to make a new "ring" that mounted on the outside of the worn holes and properly aligned the spider gear bolts.

This morning the fix was complete and the machine is chugging along once again.

Just wanted to give a big "thank you" to the folks on this post and the SimpleTractors site for being such an awesome reference for these old machines.

Jason

Bill725

If the axle tube rotates in both directions, forward & reverse, under power then the problem is external of the transaxle. If it does not, then the problem is internal of the transaxle.