Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

simplicity 728 / 738

Hi i am looking for info on the trans on both of them
can you tell me what tran it is ? i am looking for one
to bye or are there parts avalable?
thanks
Scott

This is Simplicity's own transmission and parts should be available from you dealer. I have a 738 and a spare transmission. They are pretty easy to work on.

Bob,

I'm working through a restoration on a 728 and I have a couple tranny questions.

- I'm replacing the 8 hp Briggs (tired) with a 10 hp nearly fresh Tecumseh; do you think the tranny is rugged enough to take the extra power? We pull garden tractors in the stock class and this thing will probably end up in the 600 pound class.

- There is end play in the main pulley shaft. Can I take this out with the adjustment collar on the left end?

- The locking pin holes in the wheel hub/rim assembly are elongated (almost 1") from I guess years of abuse. Any suggestions short of replacing both sides?

Any specific advice/wisdom is appreciated. General talk on this model 728 is welcome also.

I have repowered my 738 with 12 HP Briggs because of snowblower was always comming up short and now it does a good job. I think the basic transmission was on the Broadmoor II's with 11 HP engines and they survive. About pulling I can't tell you, but after rebuilding a couple of them they appear to be a rugged transmission. The 728 and 738 are very popular around here. With resonable maintence they are like the Timex watch, "with every licking they keep on ticking.

PS Around here is Milwaukee WI

Ho boy ...let the fun and games begin[again] what they call badgers we call woodchucks,groundhogs, Puscatawney Phils! dlc

Yup, I saw Blazing Saddles too. But it's: "Bodges? We don' need no steenkin' bodges!"
Fred
(Sorry Kent. Go ahead and delete this junk.)

Sorry Dave, a woodchuck (or groundhog) is nothing like a badger.
And it's "Punxsutawney". Don't insult those Pennsylvaniacs, they'll gitcha!

Fred, The movie quote was either from Wayne's World or UHF, stolen I'm sure from Blazing Saddles. And yes Badgers are nothing like woodchucks. Badgers are in the Wolverine family. In PA we shoot those dam Groundhogs they eat anything in your garden, even Tomato plants. Tim

Congrats Mr. O you've got the 'bandwith hog 'award on this thread! All about what... ZERO!! TRACTOR TALK PLEASE !:X) dlc aka peon

Fred correct if I am wrong but don't badgers use woodchucks for "shuttlecocks" in "Badgermitten"? So much for that and back to the main forum.

• 8 months later...
First off, bad engine choice. You could do better with a 11 HP Briggs (252700). Next, yes, this rearend will take the power, with alterations. First dissassemble it and remove the differential. Buy some welding rods and weld together all parts. This will reduce slippage and less breakage.