Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

carb question

dav

I left the air cleaner off the Big Ten a couple of weeks ago. I had been working on it and got called to dinner and forgot to go back to it.

it rained. and rained some more. while you folks up north have had snow and cold, in Florida we have had rain and cool.

last weekend I removed the carb because it was full to the top with water. there is no damage as such but I want to clean it up good.

the metal has the small white spots that are common to carbs that need cleaning, including in the recess where the needle valve sits.

any suggestions on how to clean that area? I don't want to run a drill bit in there because I might/probably would screw up the seat. how else to clean it?

Dav.. you might want to take your carb body to a local motorcycle shop. Most that do engine rebuilds and carb work will have an ultrasonic cleaner. These units are the very best thing for cleaning carbs back to new condition. The passageways will all be perfectly cleaned out and all other surfaces will show no trace of corrosion. Usually only charge a few bucks if carb is already disassembled....Dave...PS please turn up the heat down there. I will probably stop to say Hello at the Flywheelers show. I plan to be there Thurs. or Fri.

hadn't thought of the bike shops. one place quoted $40 to ultra the carb on my Generac. passed on that.

Dave, I'll be there Friday in row 30, site 8/9. have to work wed and thurs. I seem to use up a tank of gas every day looking at stuff. I leave "she who must be obeyed" at the site and hope she sells stuff instead of giving it away

That white powder could be aluminum oxide as well. I hear CLR will remove it but never tried it myself. Also heard success with white vinegar.