Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hydro conversion for Baron 7013 shuttle?

Does anyone know if it's possible to convert a shuttle trans/axle to a hydro unit? Discouraged trying to fix the grease leak from the shuttle unit. Would appreciate any expertise.

Roy, I'd think a 23D should fit into the space of a 19D, but I'm not sure. I'll have to sit it side-by-side with the engine I got for the B-1 and see how they compare. 23Ds were used in the 1963/64 Landlords and early B-10s... This one has a gear drive starter, so I think it must have been an aftermarket replacement engine or came off a stationary power application... Kent

It certainly would be possible, though I'm not sure EXACTLY what would be involved. Both SmilinSam and I are in the process of converting old B-series variable speed tractors to Sundstrand hydros. I would think that this would be much more challenging than working on a Simplicity 3000 series, Allis 7000 series or later -- where the frame is open at the bottom and you have a lot more room in the "tunnel" to work with.... Does your Shuttle have a cone clutch? If so, likely the two biggest challenges would be installing the actual speed control lever and the neutral safety switch. Everything else should be very straight forward. Both Sam and I traded out the bevel gear boxes and everything behind them -- the Sundstrand tranny bolts right up. This way you don't have to deal with any differences in the bolt holes in the rear frame members, linkages, etc. Both Sam and I have done the mods necessary to mount the Sundstrands and change any controls necessary, but we are in the process of painting while we have the tractors torn down to the frame rail. Winter and cold weather have slowed down the painting process significantly. BTW, this mod doesn't even require a whole lot of expensive tools -- while Sam used a torch to cut and weld the mods necessary, I just used a jig saw & drill to cut, and bolts to hold things on.... Don't consider putting in a Vickers (some parts are no longer available, and they tend to develop leaks with age), go to the newer Sundstand tranny. That's what should be in a 7000 series any way. I also suggest you try to find a donor tractor (less engine?) so that you can see and understand how everything fits and be sure you have all the little bits and pieces necessary. Then you could sell any leftover pieces/parts (if you wanted to), once you make the conversion... BTW, I paid $200 for a 7016H donor tractor with a good bevel gear box and tranny (and a 23D engine for some reason) -- less than it would have cost to rebuild the bevel gear box on my B-210. I was tired of the variable speed and my bevel gear box was about to go -- it had 7/8" of slop in it, when you combine the internal wear and the wallowed out keyway on the drive pulley... My 2 cents and probably worth even less... :<) Kent

It should be a breeze on the 7000 series. Look for the sleeve that is welded into the frame where your shuttle control lever goes in. If there is another one of those sleeves down low by the foot plate about an inch from the bottom of the tractor frame your home free, so to speak. Because if thats there you won't need to do any cutting aor modifying. You will just need a parts tractor to rob all the linkages and tranny from. Look at it and get back with us here. Sam

The best of my knowledge is that the 7000 and 7100 Sims and 700 and 900 ACs have both sleeves in the frame for all systems. But the 3300 and 3400 do not. Good Luck! Mike S.

Is your 7013 the old or new style (new style has head lamps inside hood)..? As Sam stated, it should be an easy conversion. It will definately be easier, and probably cheaper if you can locate a 7012H/712H or 7016H/716H and make one tractor out of two. Look for a late model so you get the Sunstrand rather than the Vickers.

Kent and Roy, I installed a 23D in my B-1, and it required some alteration. The original model 19 has spacer blocks under the engine. These have to be removed for the 23D. I had to enlarge the hole in the belly of the tractor to clear the blower housing on the 23D. Other changes were to enlarge the hole in the frame for the oil fill, and rebuild the air cleaner and the starter mount to lower these for hood clearance. Briggs did make a low mount bracket for the belt drive starter, but that lowered the starter too much for this application. The model 19 had it's own block. Models 23 and 24 shared a block, and models 30 and 32 shared another block. The outside dimensions of the four larger engines, from the mounting aspect, are the same. One exception here, is that some models 30 and 32 were equipped with dual balancers. In my experience, there is no front clutch to fit these particular models. Pat