Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

tractor for loader

steve-wis

Going to pick up a 3210V soon to rebuild. I am thinking of building a small front end loader for it. Do you all think this is a likely tractor for a fel? I really like the looks of one and with a loader on it, it would be really cool. What do you think?

Steve

Sure, the 3200 series is capable of a loader, is it the best choice..., my opinion is no. None of the sovereign style tractors are really a great loader platform because of the frame arrangement. They work, but they are not that strong.

A better platform is a Sunstar or Legacy platform. Cub Cadet and Deere garden tractors also make great loader platforms. All of these have one thing in common, a full length frame. That's the key to the strength. The Soveriegn styles cope with their weakness by adding external bracing, which in the end still results in a broken tractor if its abused or overworked any.

I can say all this because I have had several loader tractors and examined many more up close over the years.

What will you do with the loader and how much will you use it?If just messing around a surburban yard your tractor will be fine but really using a loader for a working machine you really need power steering and differential lock also is real handy, which translates into a

Sunstar.

It is costly

The pump,control valve,the cylinders,the hoses,the fittings,and the tank

Then the metal for the loader the welding. The only thing cheap is your labor

I've had a loader on my 3112v for a number of years, is it the ideal chassis for a loader, NO! Will it work, yes it will work if you do the loader right with a proper sub-frame and don't expect it to dig cellar holes! I've (and I'm not alone) destroyed one axle tube over the years, so wear and tear is to be expected!

I use mine for lifting heavy stuff, moving firewood, mulching, snow pile moving etc, etc. It's not always first out of the garage but it's nice to know that it's there when I need it!

For me, this will do more playing than working, maybe a bit of snow in the winter, maybe some mulch in the summer, but no real heavy work. So I am not too worried about breaking anything, I just really like the looks of the tractor and think a loader will look even better. Thanks for the insights, always good to hear from those who know something!

Steve

A variable would be my last choice of drive train for a loader....or anything for that matter. I loved the little loader on my 3212H. Saved a LOT of shoveling but is slow going. Fun though.

Sovereign-class machines with loaders are useful for hauling about 300 lbs of LOOSE material in the bucket...

Having owned, used and broken an axle tube on a 2012 with a loader -- IMO, for anything other than show -- where an original loader is the key -- you'd want a different chassis to mount the loader on....

The loader -- even if you build it yourself -- will be more expensive than the typical Sovereign-class machine. IMO, choose a better running gear so you can get some real return on investment if you're doing this for use rather than show...

If you're going for show purposes, then keep looking for an original Henry loader, perhaps one that's incomplete or needs work...

For practical use, get something like a Sunstar with a complete frame, front-to-rear, instead of the fragile "bridge" of the bevel gear box in the middle. A Sunstar also offers the potential for both power steering and diff-lock -- both of which are invaluable on a working loader...