Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Ice Road Truckers. Don't try this at Home

rokon2813

Every year, when the lake freezes enough, some folks race motorcycles on the ice.They usually plow with a 4 wheeler. Last year, the ice never got thick enough.How thick do you think it is this year ????Personally, I think they are nuts. That water at it's deepest is 80 feet.

irt1.jpg

irt2.jpg

irt3.jpg

irt4.jpg

irt5.jpg

irt1.jpg.3435bf56d1d7de1ffbe216a14a1c94cb.jpg

irt2.jpg.455460887d6013e105e1528f09d8dcf5.jpg

irt3.jpg.59193694bbee26a6b71ad9cad8bca456.jpg

irt4.jpg.b47f6093e5dd10c19276d0a5137e1296.jpg

irt5.jpg.3ab57afe8ee0a13e0d78a6f939881d48.jpg

A local snowmobiler just went through the ice and drown at Grand Lake St. Marys here in Northwest Ohio a couple of weeks ago. You would not get me on the ice in a truckfishbut maybe a motorcycle with studs in the tiresC|:

Dan

I used to do that all the time, but usually only with a foot or two of ice! My lake is shallow (all of 14-15 ft deep max) but that's still deep enough to lose a vehicle in and I've seen that done more than once here.

We never call the ice "safe" as it is never safe, only less riskier at times and more so at others!

The guys here spend a lot of time and energy checking ice thickness. Ice racing on bikes, sleds and "airboats" is huge here to keep it clear...probably 75 acres worth. They have been on the ice with trucks and trailer since before Christmas here. Last weekend there was an airplane event of some sort and we had a bunch of planes out front of my folks place on the ice. Where it stays plowed, the ice is triple the thickness.

Next weekend is our lake Winterfest and they will use the lake for parking and a 2 day racing event.

I have spent a lot of time on ice. The lake I fish is huge and had large bridges that are moved daily to span cracks from1-5 t wide. It is a bit scarey crossing open water with my f150. roads are checked dailey and well maintained.

Ice on inland lakes over here is pushing 3ft thick. Co-worker could barely drill through it to go fishing last weekend! I'd drive a truck on 3f of ice any day...