Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Spec number for Kohler Command Engine

bigdog46

I have a Kohler CH20S engine listed in classifieds that is spec no. 64512. A gentleman is interested in it for his Grasshopper but his engine spec is 64510. Anyone know what the differences might be? Thanks.

You would have to look it up. There are different shrouds, charging systems, fuel systems, air cleaners, etc. Kohlers website is pretty good!dOd

I'm unable to access the website Ray posted for some reason. Can someone who can tell me what the 64512 means?

I just bought the Command from bigdog to keep as a spare for my Sunstar. I assumed it will fit and accept the front PTO that's on the Magnum 20 that's in there now. Hopefully someone doesn't tell me there's something in the 64512 code that evinces otherwise. :D

Chris, it just worked for me. It only works on Microsoft IE 5.5 and above. Not sure why you are having trouble but the link is good.

The 64512 is the spec. number for a 20hp Kohler Command and it is or is made to spec. for a Simplicity Sunstar. I have no idea if the front PTO of a Magnum would fit the Command. If you have the spec. no. of the Magnum you probably could find out if it fits at the link above.

Ray, that link does not work for me either.

It wants me to download IE 5.5 so maybe it is because I don't use IE, I use Mozilla.

I don't need the link, just saying....

Only works with Microsoft 5.5 and above. Not Chrome, Mozilla or Firefox. States that when I try to use Chrome, but works fine when I use IE.

quote:Originally posted by RayS

Chris, it just worked for me. It only works on Microsoft IE 5.5 and above. Not sure why you are having trouble but the link is good.

id="quote">
id="quote">I don't understand it, either. When I click on your link a page comes up saying the site requires 5.5 and above. I click on that to download it, and a message pops up saying I already have a newer version. But, I still can't get in. I have never been able to figure out this internet sorcery. Oh well.

Not sure if it will help, but you can try this OPE Engines Parts Lookup:

http://www.kohler-engine-parts.opeengines.com/kohler-engine-parts-lookup

Maybe it will work with your browser. Click on the "+" sign in front of "Kohler Engine" to see all the different models.

As to the front drive adapter for a Command, the Kohler part number is 24 029 09-S.

I believe there are 3 Simplicity CH20S Command spec numbers, presumably for a SunStar: 64512, 64536, and 64585. Potential differences are grass screens (or lack thereof) and mechanical driven vs vacuum fuel pumps.

Probably most significant spec is that the 64512 Command has a 1.125" diameter by 2.787" long PTO end shaft. The 64510 PTO shaft is 1.125" by 3.346".

quote:Originally posted by huffy

I'm unable to access the website Ray posted for some reason. Can someone who can tell me what the 64512 means?I just bought the Command from bigdog to keep as a spare for my Sunstar. I assumed it will fit and accept the front PTO that's on the Magnum 20 that's in there now. Hopefully someone doesn't tell me there's something in the 64512 code that evinces otherwise. :D

id="quote">
id="quote">Chris, clutch for Magnum and Command are different. I just went thru it with mine last summer,

Bob:

Do you happen to know the part # for the clutch used on the Command? I'm not at home to look at my manuals. Was going to see about ordering one.

quote:Originally posted by huffy

Bob:Do you happen to know the part # for the clutch used on the Command? I'm not at home to look at my manuals. Was going to see about ordering one.

id="quote">
id="quote">Chris I can get it (warner Number) Tuesday the 11th as it is 20 miles from here and no one's home 'til then.Simplicity number is 1708527 and make sure you hunt down 1708494 spacer, that's critical so you don't bind up clutch..BT I think he got it from J Thomas, Novi Mi.

Thank you, Bob.

Since you said it's a Werner, I remembered that somebody e-mailed me a Werner Garden Tractor Clutch Troubleshooting and Installation guide a few months back. There's a # in the corner of the front page, P-1097-6 819-0458, which I guess is the part #.

Jacks has the spacer, so I'll go ahead and order one.

This is the Warner Clutch model/spec from my Sunstar:

CMSS-175 5218-39

I have had little luck in trying to find it besides from Simplicity where it is spendy. sm02

Occasionally the Sunstar pulley assembly is available used on eBay. That seems to be the unique part since it is a rather small diameter (4 1/2") double groove pulley. You should be able to use that with a new or used rear Warner 5218 clutch electric assembly. There seem to be quite a few Warner 5218-xx electric clutches on eBay. Note that various -xx's are rotation (CW or CCW) specific but that seems to be determined by the pulley assembly not the electric assembly. Good luck.

BTW, thanks to Bob for the spacer PN. I have been looking for that. The dimensions are 1.135" ID by 1.625" long according to Jacks Small Engines.

My son purchased a Warner 5215-24 to replace 1708527. He says he forgot where he bought yet got the 2014 jthomasparts.com catalog.

It's in there for $273.

Thanks again, Bob.

Just curious, what brand is the PTO that's on the Magnum? And why won't the one off of my Magnum work on the Command? Is the bolt pattern different or something? Seems odd that you have to buy a different clutch for the Command, and then still have to buy a spacer to get it to work . . .

If I was at home, and had already received the Command, I could just pop my clutch off my Magnum and look at it next to the Command and figure this out without bugging you again. :D