Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

So... when we decide

OrangeMetalGuy

We don't want to rebuild, restore, repair, any longer and just want a new machine (some of us are getting a bit older and I don't want to be worried about axle tube replacement, bad BGBs, etc.).

Is the Legacy the machine to consider as an investment that will keep on going for 20+ years or would something like a Massey Ferguson GC series be a better fit for the long term? Or something else?

Well, from what I've read here, I'd go with a Prestige. A Legacy is overkill for what most of us use our tractors for.

As to rebuild, repair, etc the old machines, that's what keeps us young. Also, to avoid the more difficult repairs (axle tube, BGB), have spare whole units. If patient, they can be had cheap.

Not sure how you'll use it but I bought a Conquest 16hp Vanguard in 2002 & now have ~490hrs. I use power bagger all summer w/44" deck and blade snow in winter. I'm hoping for another 12yrs. If I'd do it again I'd upgrade to a Prestige to get pwr steering & maybe 4wheel dr.

quote:Originally posted by OrangeMetalGuy

We don't want to rebuild, restore, repair, any longer and just want a new machine (some of us are getting a bit older and I don't want to be worried about axle tube replacement, bad BGBs, etc.).Is the Legacy the machine to consider as an investment that will keep on going for 20+ years or would something like a Massey Ferguson GC series be a better fit for the long term? Or something else?

id="quote">
id="quote">What are you going to be using it for?

Hard question for me....I just enjoy the repair and rerigging of the old stuff. If the axle tube goes...it becomes a project for another or a parts tractor.

I have several others to run if need be....almost all orange or yellow. There is one green and gold the wife drives.

I've been toying with this idea also. Be nice to have power steering, foot control etc. Newer is better sometimes for fatigue and parts. My property slopes about 60'from the street to the creek, all downhill. Also hoping it would allow me to reduce rolling stock.

Currently I have:

B-110 16hp dedicated loader tractor.

Big Ten 10hp utility use sickle mower, plowing etc.

917H 18hp magnum, Mowing, leaf duty, blower and cab set-up. HD Tiller.

916H 16hp Briggs repower, was to be dedicated mower, leaf duty.

716-6spd 16HP Kohler utility tractor

And a whole bunch of attachments Jonny bucket, weight+brackets, plows decks............

And the wife's Cub Cadet 1440, occasional mower and yard duty for her.

Having all wheel drive would be a big plus with my hills. Is that only available in the Legacy lineup?

My Dad has a Prestige, I've got a Landlord DLX. Foot control is great. My Dad's Prestige has power steering - very nice.

My family has a camp and with it a lot of mowing. I don't care for a zero turn and recently had been toying with the idea of a Legacy with a 60 inch deck. Two drivers were long term reliability and limited time for mowing and hence the 60 inch deck.

In the end I passed as I came into a Wheelhorse (which I have several and am very familiar) model 520H. Some smart guy came up with a foot control kit for these and the model I have has gear reduction steering. IMHO - like a Sovereign, these 520H platforms are ideal candidates for repower. Unlike the Sovereign, the 520H (w/swept forward axle) can use a 60 inch deck. So like the Legacy, I got a tractor with a 60 inch deck, easy steering, bullet proof tranny, available repower if required and foot control - which brings this tractor into the modern age for a fraction of the price.

However, the above was my solution to the Legacy, but sometimes the repairs get old. I wouldn't discourage anyone from a Legacy. One thing I wanted - if I would have bought one was an air cooled engine just to keep things simple.

Good luck,

Bill

I love the legacys....and an early version can be found for much less than the Prestige's I have seen lostex. A super legacy with 60" deck and low hr Command can be had for under $2k. They are extremely capable machines....I LOVE the loader on a PS/foot control tractor, lift and run a 400#/48" rotary mower on the 3pt and can literally move mountains of snow with the 2stage blower. I have seen PS Sovereigns sell for more than I have into each of my Legacys....the Legacy just rocks. IMHO, its not quite a subcompact like a GC is, however.

quote:Originally posted by GregB

I've been toying with this idea also. Be nice to have power steering, foot control etc. Newer is better sometimes for fatigue and parts. My property slopes about 60'from the street to the creek, all downhill. Also hoping it would allow me to reduce rolling stock.Having all wheel drive would be a big plus with my hills. Is that only available in the Legacy lineup?

id="quote">
id="quote">Greg, I think they offer 4x4 on Conquest, Prestige and Legacy XL. The early Legacy's did not have that option. But, they do have a differential lock, which I use on the fly, all the time. It's night and day for adding traction. I know Ray raves about it on his Prestige as well, for mowing his ditchbank. He loves that machine as a mower...I know they can move snow, but not sure what other tasks they are up to as far as ground engagement goes.I have two slopes in my lawn that I can only mow 'down' with a Sovereign. I can walk right up or acorss them on the Legacy with the locker...no spinning. Also, the wider wheelbase is very stable. I cannot mow across my slopes on a 900/7100 without tipping. I don't even feel as though I'll tip on the Legacy, despite sitting higher.They also turn very tight...real nice for mowing, as I hope to find out this spring.I would love to try an XL with 4x4, but frankly, haven't had a need for 4x4, even with the slopes, snow, etc. I do think it would help with steering while moving snow, however. Maynard loved his!

If I had a choice I would also vote for a Legacy. I have an older one and as Josh states it is great. I use it to clear snow (single stage blower) and mow the grass in the summer.

I would step up to a 4X4 with a cab and a two stage blower for the winter. The summer I would put on an FEL. I would keep my current Legacy for mowing.

Legacy are great tractors

Rick.........

I have a Massey GC2410 4x4 with diff lock, and it has been perfectly reliable in 425 hours other than the ground strap from the motor to frame being a shade too short, and the original terminal broke from vibration. Odd failure on an otherwise stellar machine. Mine is a TLB with AG tires, so I can't comment on mowing. My 2007 has a single foward/reverse foot control - the later ones have two pedals, I believe. The later ones have better ergonomics also.