Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

using oil,low power

boblohse

10 horse briggs has engine oil being forced out of crankcase from the vent area under tin.complete power loss as it gets warm wont run again until it cools down.My thoughts are good compression rings with bad oil rings or just a worn bore,any suggestions?Maybe a source for a replacement engine .

Does the engine blow smoke out the exhaust?

If the engine currently runs, there's no need to replace it. IMHO

My 10hp engine blows some, not a lot of oil out the breather.

I think bad oil scraper rings would allow oil into the combustion chamber thus making smoke.

My experience over more than 25 years of using the 10 hp. Briggs engines is, unless the engine has been severely abused by dirty air or dirty oil, the bore is usually within spec. A new piston and rings,

a touch up and adjustment of the valves, new seals and gaskets and you are good for another 20 years.

If an oversize piston is available, and you have the resources. a re-bore is not a bad way to go. The Briggs blocks are very hard and don't wear out easily.

The breather itsef might be shot. When the disc inside quits working, crankcase pressure builds and generally causes oil to find the easiest way out.

engine smokes a lot,I am going to remove piston,possibly replace it and the rings if available aftermarket.seems like napa can get replacement parts,at least ring sets