Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

K341S knocking

jlasater

When under a heavy load (like snowblowing), the K341S in my 716H will start to ping or knock. I'm running non-ethanol premium fuel in it and pulled the head off last summer and cleaned any deposits out so the combustion chamber is clean.

I might add, when it pings, if it's bad enough it will kick black smoke out the exhaust.

What else should I check?

The factory point gap is a baseline to get the engine running. You can adjust the timing on these by closing or opening the point gap to where the engine is happy. I would check the timing with a light and see if it's correct and go from there. I had one that was doing the same thing, after I adjusted the points to get the timing right it never ran better

I have a Kohler manual, but it doesn't actually show how to check the timing. I have a timing light. Can any of you shed light on how to do it? Where is the timing hole I need to be looking for?

There should be a hole in the lower part of the blower housing. I believe sometimes theres a plug in it. I can't remember which side it's on though. I have a manual at home with the destructions in it. I can check later unless someone else knows

With the engine running above 1500 rpm you should be able to see "SP" through the sight hole with the timing light. It should be a small 1/2" hole on the left side of the blower housing.