Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

need a torque spec confirmation

dirtmister16

i just put together my 16hp B&S for my hb, put the oil pan back on the engine.

looked for a torque spec and found 90 inch mag side, and 190 inch pto side(if i didn't switch the sides).

is that correct? first time ive run acrosse that.

its 326437 briggs, if anyone can confirm the torque i would appreciate it.

i just torqued them to 100 inch pounds for tonight so the gasket and rtv would set, will be taking it apart and putting loctite on the bolts. will retorque then.

thanks in advance.

Sorry Matt,

I looked in my B&S service manual for out of production engines 1919-1981 & I couldn't find any torque specs for the oil pan. I tried to google it & this is the only thing I came up with.

http://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/html/engine-specs/briggs/common_specs_single_cyl_lhead_engines.pdf

It looks like you already have these specs. Sorry I don't know much more about it.

Tim

Every Simplicity parts manual or operators manual list torque spec. for each size bolt. Bolts torque spec. are also listed in a google search. It is a standard.

thanks guys, i will use that info. though i already just kinda winged it. will correct it next time im in the garage.

i appreciate your help.

nova, that is the chart i have in my book. i had never run across these specs and wanted to confirm with someone before i had went ahead with it. so thank you.

i had aslo checked with the dealer i used to work for and his chart didnt' have anything. he advised me to do it the old fashioned way and just snug them down good.

It would seem strange to me, that there would be different specs in relation to which side of the pan the bolts were on. 90 vs. 190 inch pounds almost seems like a typo. Seems like a one was added or missed. 90 inch pounds is only about 7-1/2 foot #'s, and that seems pretty light.

I found it in the repair manual where the reference to those torques are and it has to do with the crankshaft bearing supports of the 23 thru 32 CID cast iron engines. Being that it isn't called out, I would go with the standard torque that goes with the GR-5 or GR-8 bolt, I forget which one is used.

Go to page 245 or 246 lower left hand corner of psge.

http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/TM-5-4240-501-14-and-P.pdf

I've never used a torque wrench on an oil pan bolt. Just tightened them to what I would consider a normal tightness. Never had any problems with one leaking.

I did my 10 horse to 190 on all 4 corners. Have maybe 10 or 15 hours of snow removal and zero leaks so far. The Briggs torque spec sheet that I have lists the 90/190 for a lot of their engines.

B110guy

The 90-190 in lb setting has NOTHING to do with the oil pan.

I found it in the repair manual where the reference to those torques are and it has to do with the crankshaft bearing supports of the 23 thru 32 CID cast iron engines. Being that it isn't called out, I would go with the standard torque that goes with the GR-5 or GR-8 bolt, I forget which one is used.

Go to page 245 or 246 lower left hand corner of psge.

http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/TM-5-4240-501-14-and-P.pdf

quote:Originally posted by BLT

The 90-190 in lb setting has NOTHING to do with the oil pan.I found it in the repair manual where the reference to those torques are and it has to do with the crankshaft bearing supports of the 23 thru 32 CID cast iron engines. Being that it isn't called out, I would go with the standard torque that goes with the GR-5 or GR-8 bolt, I forget which one is used.Go to page 245 or 246 lower left hand corner of psge.http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/TM-5-4240-501-14-and-P.pdf

id="quote">
id="quote">thank you for the info there. i see what your saying about the bearing supports. the chart that i looked up in my book was saying crankcase/sump, so does if i understand your info and the book the reason for this odd torque spec is the to be the same as the cover bolts? see what ive done, ive opened a discussion and now probally confusing thecensored1.gifout of all it and everyone.

ok, maybe i got it now. sorry my brain must still be in first gear today. long day.

so what your actually saying BLT is that the torque spec is for the covers only. the spec is for crankcase cover or sump.

but then the question begs to be asked are we calling the pan the "sump" and the torque is also for that.

in my head that makes sense if what i just wrote is correct. sorry if im confusing anyone.

quote:Originally posted by dirtmister16

so what your actually saying BLT is that the torque spec is for the covers only. the spec is for crankcase cover or sump. but then the question begs to be asked are we calling the pan the "sump" and the torque is also for that.

id="quote">
id="quote">Matt what the book should say is torques will be called out when they deviate from the standard value. Pan is where the oil resides and the sump is always the deepst portion. So I think book is in error.

ok now i gotcha!

thanks alot Bob, sorry its been a day and i was reading that and had 3 trains of thought going at once there.

well lets hope all this confusion i started at least has helped more then just me out.

just wanted to update this thread quick.

1. followed the chart listed here on the site for standard machine hardware.

2. printed that chart out and put it in one of those covers you can slip pages in. put that in my reference binder for future use.

3. thanks for all the info and help. sorry if i seemed so off for a bit there.