Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Relief in the Lee of the Lake...finally!

Talntedmrgreen

Well, it's Wednesday afternoon, and I haven't seen it snow since Monday! In the mean time, it has remained cold, but the roads and driveways are recovering with the break from constant snows, and some welcome sunshine. Our snow has settled to around 28", and temps are expected to break the freezing mark next week, for the first time in recent memory. (Should make for a HEAVY snowpack)Wouldn't have known it by this morning though! Was -10 at home, and -15 at work.20140212_061007.jpgIt's still been very cold vs our normal winter temps. Lake Michigan normally keeps us nice and toasty compared to points North, East and South of Western MI, but this year, it's making record setting ice, and we're losing our warm blanket, and the lake effect snow machine has all but shut off.

2.11.14 ice.jpg

They say we are already at the #4 all-time snowiest winter, with lots of time to go. Our road crews have blown their budget for the year...that includes all money for the warmer months, road repair, construction, etc. Ouch. BUT...they still took advantage of a nice day and have been moving road shoulders back to make room for more snow! I can't recall the last time I saw blacktop before today! Holloween? &:)A quick clip while I waited to jump around this big guy...seems to be the norm this winter for our county guyshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLMQF4SSnKE20140212_114818.jpg20140212_114840.jpgI'm going to have to do some of the same with the blower at home...get piles moved a bit in lieu of cleaning the drive.dOd

57e0592511cdf_2_11.14ice.jpg.a0f1863e88630d92556dbcf776f3d1dd.jpg

Wow, you have them funny yellow lines again. I always have to remind myself what they mean come the end of March.:D

Must be almost spring time here, have clear SUNNY skies and 44 below.

quote:Originally posted by MPH

Wow, you have them funny yellow lines again. I always have to remind myself what they mean come the end of March.:DMust be almost spring time here, have clear SUNNY skies and 44 below.

id="quote">
id="quote">You've had about a 80 deg swing in temperature lately.

As of yesterday, I think Lake Michigan was almost officially froze over. We still get cold air that pulls moisture off it though, because the ice cover moves, and breaks up from wind and waves. You can certainly tell the difference in lake effect. This morning we got around 3", but a month ago it would have been 6" due to more open water. We have had a LOT more sun than normal as well. I don't know if I saw the sun in January.

LkMIfrozen.png

Yeah, I think you can ignore the higher levels on that chart...they also use blue for the 30* temps, at the bottom of the chart. Lake Ontario is very close to freezing, but I hear it's too turbulent due to Niagra and the current from the river.

quote:Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen

Yeah, I think you can ignore the higher levels on that chart...they also use blue for the 30* temps, at the bottom of the chart. Lake Ontario is very close to freezing, but I hear it's too turbulent due to Niagra and the current from the river.

id="quote">
id="quote">I've lived here my entire life, almost 50 years. I have never seen Ontario freeze more than a half mile or so out.It is rarely a "calm" lake. There are always ripples and 2 foot swells are normal. A windy day in winter will have 4 and 5 foot waves and bigger.

You just don't cold enough Dan, I've seen the Cook Inlet froze over as far south as Clam Gulch, and that's salt water. Suer was a COOL breakup that year. Ice burgs on the beach 10 foot tall at low tide. Oh yea, the cook inlet has the 2nd largest tide change in the world I believe.

quote:Originally posted by MPH

The water temp color chart confusses me, lloks like most the water is over 80 degrees, ain't buying that.

id="quote">
id="quote">Marty if you look to the left on the color chart, the water temp looks to be hovering around 33-34 deg F.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Tom45
    • maxwood
    • PhanDad
    • Bill725
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts