Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What did your tractor eat?

Burntime

With all the "look what I broke" threads, I thought it would be funny and maybe helpfull of what not to do.

I have hit extension cords, a dog cable, a pvc elbow, a brick (not sure how it got on the driveway) a field mouse (they do summersaults when they come out of the snowthrower) and more than a few tennis balls (thanks Kali) plus a bunch I forgot. Lets add to the list!dOd

Nothing out of the ordinary with the mower but once when I was edging with the weed eater I hit a toad or small frog and propelled it with enough force to splatter it on my forehead. I though I'd thrown a rock and when I felt my head I thought I had caused some major damage to myself. Only when I wiped the remains off my head did I realize what it was.

I snowblow my back yard when it's good and cold, before things thaw. Started the big snow move just last nite in preparation for that 30" to melt. I do this party to keep the runoff away from my basement, but tell everyone who asks that I do it to...

...clean up the dog poop while it's frozen! 666

Nothing worse than spending a spring afternoon scooping dog doo and filling bucket after bucket of the 'stuff'. The Berco throws a frozen turd 3X as far as it does snow. It's amazing. The little turd-torpedos will take off tree limbs 20' above teh ground (I aim into the woods...I have a DMZ of sorts where it all goes) &:)

I hit a horizontal section of 2x3 aluminum downspout. It was about 3' long; I hit it head on and out the spout it came. A bunch of noise and a flattened downspout, but no damage to the blower.

Josh,

You had me laughing :D when I read the thread about you snowblowing your backyard for the dog poop.:Y It does seem like a good idea though.^

ive hit a brick it was like doing the boot scooten boogie on the seat, and i got a garden snake all i seen was his head in front of me looked like a deer in the headlights.

Never did much with the mower, but my daughter, back in 1995, was home for the summer from college and decided to mow the grass to help out. All of a sudden, I heard screaming and thought she had really hurt herself. Turns out she mowed over a rabbit nest, and the little bunnies stuck up their heads to see what was going on. little bunny parts everywhere!

With the snowblower, I ran a 20 lb. pc. of concrete sidewalk into a 36 inch single stage a few years ago, stopped the tractor dead in it's tracks. The belt came off an idler, otherwise all was good. I also ran up the sump pump hose with the snowblower, wound it up nice and tight and then pulled the plumbing inside the house tight to the wall. The wife was inside and thought the basement was caving in.

finally, my brother had offered to store a Gilson 16 hp tractor and attachments that I had many years ago, and used the tractor and snowblower in his yard. He also did a few neighbors, and then would drive a block or so to the local tavern for a couple of beers. One day on the way home he noticed one of his older neighbors hadn't done his driveway yet so he decided to help out. A small dog was sitting on the porch watching him. All of a sudden the dog started running right toward the blower and ran right into it, and thru it. Turns out the dog was on a chain and the chain was laying across the driveway. Owner was good about the whole thing, but bro was shook up for a while.

I have a friend who couldn't find his wallet one day mowing and after a good time looking on the mowed lawn found the shredded remains scattered about. That's ugly.

I ran over my 25 ft tape with the mower I had looked for days for it.I was wishing I hadn't found it,25 ft steel tape wound around

the blades and arbors. I HAD a time with tin snips getting it out

from under the deck.

*Knock on wood* I've been lucky with my Serf. Nothing sucked up in the blower but I have been known to shred up a toad or two with the mower.

I was using the POS MTD single stage blower one day. I sucked up the dog's cable, no he wasn't on the other end. LOL I spent almost an hour unwinding the cable because when it started to wind up, my gut reaction was to hold onto the blower handle tightly and not let go for anything. Those 5.5 Tecumseh two strokes are some powerful little engines.

When I was in the Air Guard, we had some Hustler commercial front mount tractors. There was a 60" two stage blower mounted to it. I see the operator bringing it up to the shop and he's nowhere near finished with his snow removal.

Well, after careful examination, he sucked up a HUGE decorative mat from outside the NCO club. Guess who had the chore of removing it and giving the machine a good once over to see if anything else was broke.

My sons ran a commercial lawn mowing business to put themselves through college. I would help them at times. One day, I was mowing some tall weeds (tall as the 917 tractor) that they had been asked to mow. I heard and felt a very large THUNK!!

A very now dead cat came out the discharge. Why it sat there and let me run into it (I was going quite slow) I don't know.

i "found" my grandpa's dogs steel cable chain mowing with my gravely no damage but a pain to get unwound the dog has been gone for like 15 yrs. and still manages to cause trouble.:pfunny

Not to much for me but a friend was helping a friend with his snow when he was gone. With a areins snow blower he caught a coax cable on a tower and as you can guess he just hung on for all he was worth the snow blower quite when it was 5 feet in the air . Had quite a time getting that thing down.

• Like 1

Blowing snow this winter, and got close to the garage. Hit a chunk of ice, and slid into the wall. Now in spring have some vinyl siding to repair. The tuff blower is OK. Wife asked what happened? I just said "s**t happens".

Well,

- Out on the Landlord, one day, mowing with the 42" deck, and noticed the

clippings turned from grass green to rabbit gray.

- nother day cutting some higher grass with a DR-Trimmer, running 180 mil cords, launched a 1-1/2 pound rock about 75 feet across the yard.

- cutting some weeds, and thorn bushes at the junior football field, using the weed cutter on the 68 Landlord. Got too close to the property line, and the fence posts now have some clean 1" deep groves.And the wire fencing is now higher off the ground.

- Same field, same equipment, running through same thorn buses, and felt what I thought was some thorns through my jeans, but turned out to be yellow-jackets, must have gotten too close to the underground nest. OUCH!

quote:Originally posted by Burntime

...a field mouse (they do summersaults when they come out of the snowthrower)

id="quote">
id="quote">I still have tears down my cheeks at the mental image! Too funny, Dave

Prior to my sons growing up and learning about tools and how to use and not where to leave them, a few rocks pieces of wood and such. Sine he grew older and use the tools I have seen sockets, handsaw, ratchet, chain, rope (lots of it), bag of nails (yup) , and even a lawn mower blade I hadn't even realized had fallen off. Small bunny, mice and even a snake or two. Roger.

quote:Originally posted by timflury

*Knock on wood* I've been lucky with my Serf. Nothing sucked up in the blower but I have been known to shred up a toad or two with the mower.I was using the POS MTD single stage blower one day. I sucked up the dog's cable, no he wasn't on the other end. LOL I spent almost an hour unwinding the cable because when it started to wind up, my gut reaction was to hold onto the blower handle tightly and not let go for anything. Those 5.5 Tecumseh two strokes are some powerful little engines.When I was in the Air Guard, we had some Hustler commercial front mount tractors. There was a 60" two stage blower mounted to it. I see the operator bringing it up to the shop and he's nowhere near finished with his snow removal.Well, after careful examination, he sucked up a HUGE decorative mat from outside the NCO club. Guess who had the chore of removing it and giving the machine a good once over to see if anything else was broke.

id="quote">
id="quote">Correction: I forgot about sucking up my Sunday paper this winter. Can't do much damage with all of 5hp under the hood. It just stopped the auger and the belt slipped a little until I was able to shut the machine down.

42" mower deck caught a 4' by 1/4" steel rod used for my gravely...when it got done it looked like a HEAVY duty spring after it wound around my deck arbors :(. The other was when I shot a rock through my front sliding door..it was an 8' slider and the moving panel got "shot" out..fortunately insurance payed for it. jh

My father got his hand caught in a Gravely sickle bar while it was running or possible just engaged, and somehow came out with both his hand and all the fingers. He had some nerve damage in one finger, and after that he would use that finger to check for 115V. He'd put his finger on, think for a second, and say "yes, that is live".

Watched the 15 year old boy next store suck 50ft of garden hose off of a small hose reel with a JD 400. Funny thing was the kid had on his head set and never saw it coming until the hose reel slammed into the front of the blower housing.

I looked across my yard and was wondering what was causing the hose reel to spin at high speed when it was tucked so neatly behind the bushes in their yard. There was about 4 inches of fresh snow on the ground that day and the blower grabbed the end of the hose that was strung out in the yard to drain the water out of it.That hose wound up real tight and real fast onto that blower auger.

All I can say is ILMAO when the hose reel slammed into the blower and flew about 30 ft into the air and the smartcensored.gif kid jumped 3 ft out of his seat. Nobody was hurt but it sure was a sight to behold!|)

• Like 1

Got behind mowing one year,recruited my wife to help,we were on a pair of 712s and all was going well till I hit a snake, happened to see it come out the deck and it flew all the way over and landed right on her hood,perfect shot.I thought maby my help was done but after emergency snake guts removal all was good:D