Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

I think I have found the limit of the snow plow

Gordan

We got 18" of heavy stuff, followed by hours of nearly-freezing rain that didn't melt anything but just turned everything into a misery-flavored snow cone. To boot, my driveway still had a good chunk of ice on it from the ice storm we got last Wednesday, so I had very little traction. Not that the traction would have helped much with this, as desperate running starts into the snow banks didn't accomplish much. I was out there in the rain for three hours clearing this stuff, getting stuck, shoveling out and heaving out the tractor.

Any one of you SE PA guys use the single stage snow blower? How did you do? It was so sticky that I couldn't shake it off the shovel.

Yes I use a 42" on my 917 not a plugged chute yesterday cleaning this up.

smallwindow.jpg

smallpark.jpg

Went out this am and had to clean up another 4".I guess we got a little lucky, got a break in the afternoon to clean, then a little rain, then back to snow in the late evening.

In mid-Maryland (south of DC) we are in one heck of a pickle. I cleared the driveway yesterday, then we got another 4-5" of snow..The Gravely 2 stage will blow that snow, BUT with the inch or two of slush below....there is no traction...With the AC 917 with a plow or the Gravely blower :(!. I am getting ready for the "A"frame drag plow behind the Suburban...I may need to have some added weight......I think my wifey will be adding some balance to my life:D. jh

quote:Originally posted by Gordan

So... let's say that I were to get a blower. Is the 42" one sturdier than the 36" one, the other way around, or no difference?

id="quote">
id="quote">They are both made out of the same material and preference is by owners opinion. I have a 36" blower and narrow ATV tires so blower head is about as wide as the tire track and for me it is OK. Wider tires leave a track mark on the first pass, so the prefence would then be a 42" blower. As far as time goes the 42" blower has a wider cut, some time is saved, but not that much to where you can write home about unless you're cleaning a football field. And price is a consideration, as the 42" version is more in demand, higher price.

I ask because I thought I had seen some mention that they might have been made by different manufacturers, but maybe that was the difference between the two-stage 42" and the earlier blowers. I just can't find that discussion now.

a friend of mine gave me a rubber pad that i put on my blower paddles made a big difference throwing snow heres a pic of it he says it works great on wet snow but i havent tryed it yet

IMG_3743.JPG

IMG_3743.JPG.5cb5d37ae2f48414bf9ef9433d81e35b.JPG

quote:Originally posted by yukon

a friend of mine gave me a rubber pad that i put on my blower paddles made a big difference throwing snow heres a pic of it he says it works great on wet snow but i havent tryed it yet

IMG_3743.JPG

id="quote">
id="quote">This mod works great on the impeller of two stage blowers too. Greatly increases the throwing distance and the ability to throw slush.

quote:Originally posted by Gordan

I ask because I thought I had seen some mention that they might have been made by different manufacturers, but maybe that was the difference between the two-stage 42" and the earlier blowers. I just can't find that discussion now.

id="quote">
id="quote">The two stage units were and maybe now outsourced and built by Berco. But there are no Simplicity built two stage units for the heavy frame BGB units that I am aware of.

The dozer blade on my 7010 has continued to work well for me, even in this nasty stuff in eastern PA, but I am home most of the time and make sure to go out when it gets to 7 or 8" max. If I let it get any deeper than that it causes significant trouble. I also make sure my gravel driveway stays graded, and I don't drive on unplowed snow, to avoid buildups of ice.

The addition of my Massey loader 6 years ago is what makes a winter like this one doable. I can't use the bucket to plow the driveway, because it doesn't float like a plow - makes a packed slippery mess. But it is indispensable in moving the piles around from my 7010.

All this said, I can see why you are investigating a blower. My driveway has a down slope to the side of it, and I can plow and dump a lot of snow that direction to get rid of it. If I didn't have that, I would need a dump truck to take it elsewhere, and a taller loader sm01

I'm NE of Phila. Had the same rained on snow that others had. Like GregB, I had no problem throwing the snow with a single stage 42" blower. I think the blower will blow a wetter snow farther than a dry powder snow (which is rare for my area). One thing that helps greatly is a slippery auger and discharge chute. My preference is spray on silicone. Didn't do it at the beginning of the year and did notice the difference. Others use PAM, wax, etc.

As to blower width, I also prefer the 42" since the width is wider than the tires as others have said. I have used a 36" for many years before getting a 42" and it works fine, you just have to be more careful maneuvering.

PS - My single stage usually does better in the wet snow compared to most of my neighbors 2 stage walk behinds.

At $75, my 36" single stage Model 990519, purchased circa 1973-74 was always clogging, Like Bill said (SE PA) is usually a wet snow. I always sprayed the chute and housing with Pledge before going out. I also had a tapered cutoff piece of oak (kept in under the seat on the '68 LL) to loosen the plug in the chute.Had an constant problem w/ clogging before I installed the missing deflector (#106774), commonly missing on used units. This helped to concentrate the flow from the rotor "paddle".I would like to try that rubber paddle extension earlier in the discussion.since both of my LLs have been down for over a year.under repair and refub.

Good Luck Tim, You complained that I was hoarding the snow! Come on down I have nearly a foot of it. I AM SNOWED IN SINCE TUESDAY

Wayne

quote:Originally posted by PhanDad

One thing that helps greatly is a slippery auger and discharge chute. My preference is spray on silicone. Didn't do it at the beginning of the year and did notice the difference. Others use PAM, wax, etc.

id="quote">
id="quote">My 7114H w/ a 42" blower snorted the whole time as well blowing the same 'sierra cement' it sounds like everyone else in the East had from this most recent Noreaster. I used Protect-All spray on my chute and auger, and that worked great. It seemed to stay on longer than the various sprays I've tried before that seem to rub off pretty quickly, especially up at the road when I'm throwing the sand-laden berm left by the town plow. I didn't have to get out of the cab to unplug once - yeh!!!I'll get out sooner after this next storm that's coming, hopefully while it's still powdery and not as wind loaded as yesterdays storm.