Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

incandescent or halogen?

christopher

Hello, I would like to add aftermarket lights to my 2110. Does anyone know what the generator will handle? I plan on hooking up through the key and a toggle switch. I was just able to use my cab with my snowblower for the first time, I feel like I am in the lap of luxury. Thanks for any help Chris

On my old Sovereign (late 70's) I installed automotive halogen backup light bulbs in the front lights for more light. They worked very well. When I sold it I removed them and installed them in my 2000 Sovereign. After some use the plastic which holds the halogen element in the bulb melted due to the heat.

I don't believe that the starter-generator on these old tractors puts out the amperage required for halogen lights. You may have problems keeping that battery charged. I would install them and see if the ammeter shows a charge while you are operating the snowblower. If not, a temporary solution is to bypass the voltage regulator. Make a jumper wire, about 6 - 8 inches long, with an alligator clip on each end. When you need to use the lights, clip one end on a good "ground", and the other to the "F" terminal on the starter/generator. The "F" terminal is the one with only one small wire on it. DO NOT connect the jumper wire to the terminal that has a heavy battery cable attached to it. Be sure to remove this jumper wire when you are not using the lights, to prevent overcharging the battery. Pat

Volts x Amps = Watts Using nominal numbers, if you have a 12 volt / 15 amp system, the maximum available would be 180 watts for ALL electrical demands at any one time. Check the total wattage of the lamps you want to use. Just remember, you can't get blood out of a stone.

I agree with Dutch. V X A = W and therefore if you put in the equivalent wattage headlamp (either incandescent or halogen), they will both require the same generator output. Of equivalent wattage headlamps, the halogens will typically put out more lumens (light power) and also more heat. You do have to make sure that the housings can handle the heat. Paul

Another Question, After the posts above, does anyone know what the outputs of the starter/generator are? It is a recently factory rebuilt so it should be in fine shape. Chris

The wire marked "F" in the diagram goes to the post marked "F" on the Starter Generator. Then the other 2 wires goto the post marked "A". The link below is for an AC B-112 but I don't see why the wiring would be different on your 2110 John[A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/images/wiring/wd_110_112.jpg']http://www.simpletractors.com/images/wiring/wd_110_112.jpg[/a]

Thanks for the help guys, I will check on the lights and see what they require for juice. The heat from halogens shouldn't be a problem as they will be self contained units for use on ag tractors and I am mounting them on brackets. Thanks again for the info Chris

When I bought my B-210 it had the brackets for headlights but no headlights. I used (2) 35 watt (GE# 4411) utility lights from True Value but I guess can be picked up anywere. I also love the rear work light which I use the same light there too. (2) 35watt + (1) 35watt = 105watt. I also wired the lights, using one switch, to turn the front lights leaving the rear work light off or turn on all lights, it's very easy to do. If you want a schematic email me at aardvarkiq@gmx.co.uk and I'll send it to you, as I lack the ability to post pics.