Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Compressor problems

johnmonkey

I just bought a D/A sander and when I hooked it up and tried it it just bogs down. My compressor is a 5hp campbell hausfeld with a 60 gallon tank. Does anyone know what gives? any help wuold be appreciated. Thanks John H.

If your pressure is okay, check the sander. Many (most) D/A sanders have a lever on the side to switch between rotary and orbital action. If the lever is not FULLY in either position, the sander will seem to "bog down".

The pressure regulator is reading 100lbs on the tank itself and about 90-100lbs on the water separater that is in line with the hose. I will check the position of the lever in the morning. Thanks for your help. JohnH

You have the PSI but maybe not the air delivery? I had that problem, I have a cambell-hausfeld D/A and it requires 10.0 SCFM air delivery at 90 PSI, only problem is it gives 7.4 SCFM at 90 PSI even thought it is a 6 HP sears 40 gallon tank new this year, what I found that works is a "Booster Tank" I hooked a "Jumper Hose" from the air compressor to a propane tank and hooked a presure relief box on the propane tank, turn the air compressor on till it achieves max pressure in the propane tank and the air compressor and get the pressure turned on the the air sander and now I have more than enough delivery, it gives the compressor and the tool more than enough power to run for a length of time, good luck,-BradW

If it's cold in your shop and you have excessive water in your tank you could have chunks of ice forming in your air lines plugging up the outlet air to the tool. Tiny

The manual says " line pressure or hose inside dia. should be increased to compensate for long hoses (over 25') min hose dia. should be 3/8" & fittings should have 1/4"NPT thread." The "specifications" are: No load-10,000 rpm max pressure 90psi pad dia 6" air inlet 1/4"npt hose size 3/8dia. There is no a SCFM rating in the instructions of the sander.I' m going to check out the hoses right now. The tank says 9.4 CFM @ 90psi.Thanks for your input John H

I rechecked the compressor and the guage on the compressor is reading 120lbs the guage on the water separator reads 110lbs does not make sense to me.I rechecked the D/A sander and there was a "lock and unlock" switch behind the sanding disk. I tried it in lock and unlock and it worked best in the unlocked position but still just does not seem like enough air.When the compressor is fully charged the sander seems to work but the compressor does not turn back on until 90lbs that is when the sander seems weak.John H

Maybe the diameter of the hose your using is too small. Besides air pressure (PSI), you need air volume (CFM) at the tool. What CFM is specified for your D/A tool..? Be careful with SCFM ratings. The "S" should represent "Standard", but some clever manufacturers use the "S" to represent "Swept". A "Swept" rating can be 25%-50% lower than a "Standard" rating. You should also be able to adjust the compressor switch to come back on at a PSI higher than 90. But, that shouldn't be your problem.