Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Dozer vs grader vs box blade

rich_kildow

I have a 300' gravel driveway that needs some upkeep this year, as well as some high and low spots in the yard that could use some attention. I'd also like to be able to keep my driveway scraped fairly clear of snow rather than building up with compacted snow throughout the winter. I already have a 5 position spring trip blade and understand that this isn't the right tool for grading operations, but am not sure which would work better: a mid mount grader or a rear mount box scraper. I already have the rear lift and can build the Brinley adapter.

http://www.sears.com/brinly-38inch-box-scraper/p-07196400000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&kpid=07196400000&kispla=07196400000P

http://www.sears.com/brinly-42inch-rear-blade/p-07196578000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&kpid=07196578000&kispla=07196578000P

Neither of these or the grader have down pressure from the tractor but both can have weight added by the operator or blocks/weight on the rear. The rear box blade also has scarifying teeth which would really help with the driveway. Does anybody have any input on these vs the grader?

Rich,

I think you will find the mid mount grader blade will do the best job on a large frame tractor. With the stirups, you can put considerable down pressure on one side or the other.

I have a 48 inch box blade for a Powermax tractor which has down pressure on the rear 3 point hitch. I find that the mid mount grader blade on the large frame tractor is much easier to control.

John u

The box blade will allow you to move more gravel further while grading.

The belly mount gives more control since you can see it and vary the down pressure with your feet.

The box blade scarifiers will loosen compacted soil easier.

You can, with practice, grade pretty well with the front blade too.

It is all a matter of choice, do you want to play around a lot with the front blade, play a little with the belly mount, or just go out and get the job done with the box blade?

I've used all 3, and in time all 3 can do an equally good job depending on how much work you want to do.

My favorite was probably the mid mount and towing a roller at the same time;), but the box blade was more fun and less work.

I had extremely limited luck with a Brinly box blade behind a large frame. You would need to add significant weight and frankly, I was not impressed enough with the lite build quality to do so. They will move a lot of dirt, but it must be loose. They do not loosen the ground well at all and have no heavy duty, replaceable wear edges.

My preference for your type of task is the midmount grader. As mentioned, excellent controll very effective. Either tool may benefit from a homebrew scarifier of some sort, even if used separately on the tractor.

A bit outside the norm, amd quite tough to find.....the Dutch blade grader variety that some members have loosens hardpack gravel amazingly well. Also, an Earthcavator works so well it makes a largeframe feel a bit undersized.

Stir-Ups are nice but not necessary to put downward pressure on the grader blade. Even without stir-ups you can put foot pressure on the blade for downward pressure.

FWIW - I've got a Wheelhorse tractor with a mid-mount grader blade and it is GREAT!!!! I assume the Simplicity one would be the same. However, one thing I am planning to add to my grader blade is bolt-on box ends. This way I can run the tractor blade perpendicular with the driveway, knock off the high spots, contain the excess gravel within the blade via the boxed ends and fill-in the pot holes/low spots.