Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hb212 and My Rebuilt Sweepster

ngale65

Well, its taken some time and I'd like to thank Josh for the sweepster and Michael Wells for a top notch hitch reproduction that he was able to have made for me. Here are some pictures along the way, new reproduction hitch, painted then put together with all new hardware and parts, installed sweepster and then all new brushed, doubled up the ends as they get the most wear. Then put it all on my old HB212 with narrow front tires for easier steering as this thing weighs a ton. Works awesome, had it out last night and again today, getting a sleet storm now, will be out again after dinner. If anyone buys a sweepster and needs a hitch made contact Mr. Wells, he sent the hitch, belt, bearings, bearing keepers, an pulleys. all i had to do was go to tractor supply and get some bolts and a couple springs and cable.

hitch bare.jpg

sweep empty.jpg

hitch done.jpg

hb2.jpg

hb1.jpg

57e0592cbe882_hitchbare.jpg.3af4998dedf6a2ac7b62fe01415724b0.jpg

57e0592ccd0c9_sweepempty.jpg.331c948986caf3e917e13dde98260475.jpg

57e0592ce2ffc_hitchdone.jpg.f18ca134127850394115544494f924f4.jpg

hb2.jpg.a60d78088369d6e98e95701e3b23a934.jpg

hb1.jpg.bcbf86406e0cc1a153f818a338857734.jpg

Well, we has about 2 inches of sleet and freezing rain, i went out as soon as it was done, did my drive and 3 neighbors. Worked great, right down to concrete. no way a blower would have touched this heavy slushy, icy mess. Love it. :D

quote:Originally posted by SethL007

looks great but i bet it will go a lot better if you get that green off the back!!! :D

id="quote">
id="quote">Right!?! To Nathan's credit, those weights are MUCH more valuable that way. I had some I nabbed quick on CL in December. I sold them profitably the next day. I had 7 emails after listing them in the morning. I bought the identical, but generic black ones for $10/ea less, shipped, and put the rest in my gas tank ;)We didn't get any of your sleet or ice...got 11" of snow instead. This was last nite, when we had about 7" and I got the AGCO dressed for blower duty. I fired up the blower this morning, and measured anther 4" on top of that.

20140217_184855.jpg

20140217_190953.jpg

20140217_183856.jpg

20140217_190237.jpg

20140218_064506.jpg

Nathan, Do you have any of the old brush you might want to sell. My daughter teaches little kids to ski and wants me to make gates for lite kids that are brushes glued into PVC pipe.

That is pretty cool about the brushes, I have a Gravely sweepster and the brushes are worn, I wonder if Old Dominion has brushes for it? Real nice work on the sweepster. jh

Very nice Nathan! That thing looks enormous...I bet you were the talk of the subdivision driving it around sm01 Mr Wells did a great job on the hitch fab too dOd

ps...did those wheelweights used to be black?

:D Nate; great job on your rebuild and install of your sweeper. However you have made the common error of installing the Crosby clips on your lift cable the wrong way around. The saddle should be against the pull part of the cable to prevent crushing it and the u part goes on the dead end part. I was always taught with the easy to remember phrase.. never saddle a dead horse... If you crush the part that takes the pull the cable will fail prematurely.....DavedOd

quote:Originally posted by B10Dave

:D Nate; great job on your rebuild and install of your sweeper. However you have made the common error of installing the Crosby clips on your lift cable the wrong way around. The saddle should be against the pull part of the cable to prevent crushing it and the u part goes on the dead end part. I was always taught with the easy to remember phrase.. never saddle a dead horse... If you crush the part that takes the pull the cable will fail prematurely.....DavedOd

id="quote">
id="quote">I understand what you're saying, but the way I see the picture (3rd from the top) I think he got it right. I never thought about it myself, so I learned something new today. Thanx, Dave

Wow, there are so many great attachments for these old tractors it makes me :drl. Great job Nathan! dOd Looks like it cleans up the driveway very well.

dave, good to know on those. i learned something new. of course I'm never going to remember that but the never saddle a dead horse is good. :)

and to clarify, the saddle is the cast lower part, and the crush part is the U bolt. So crush the loose end so to say? just want to make sure i got that right. ?

quote:Originally posted by ngale65

and to clarify, the saddle is the cast lower part, and the crush part is the U bolt. So crush the loose end so to say? just want to make sure i got that right. ?

id="quote">
id="quote">Yep

:D:D Nate; you won't forget it now. Any time you make or repair a cable from now on you will automatically think of the proper way. When i worked for the Ontario DOT in the early 70's I made or repaired many lift cables for the snow plow wings. The location I worked out of was the repair garage for a 4 county area and we had 18 patrol locations with at least 2 trucks with wings at each location.....Dave..PS you can put the clips nearly side by side and shorten the dead end considerably. Just make sure the first one is as tight to the sheeve? (metal loop) as you can get it.

Mike, your link goes to an ebay search for anything 'sweepster'. This would be an appropriate brush set for your broom (24x6.38):http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sweepster-Replacement-Brush-Set-For-Sweepster-48-Mechanical-Angle-Broom-24-Poly-/281258478966?pt=BI_Heavy_Equipment_Parts&hash=item417c4fcd76#ht_487wt_948The ad does not specify how many brushes you get, but a 48" broom takes a minimum of 24. From his pricing, that's $12.50 each, plus $100 shipping....outrageous. When I shopped, I ended up buying form a sales rep, from this company:www.odbco.comTheir pricing at that time was:Poly 24x6.38 Convoluted or Flat w/spacers are 7.00 each Wire 24x6.38 Convoluted or Flat w/spacers are 7.50 each Shipping for me was $32...they came freight, on a truck with a lift gate. I'm not sure where they ship from, but I think they stung Nathan for more freight (coudl be diesel is higher now than when I purchased as well). I paid $200, delivered, for a set of 24. You and I are probably in the same freight area, so I would hope you would see similar pricing. She was fine with the idea of sharing her contact info for other guys to reach out and order.Terrina FoxworthODB Regional Sales1-800-446-9823terrinaf@odbco.com....and yes, the broom hinges at the round bar, where the hitch attaches.

IMAG0866.jpg

IMAG0865.jpg

IMAG0870.jpg

When shopping, you can get conveluted, or flat. Flat require spacers, but conveluted do not. Conveluted are a bit more money, and are used on brooms with adjustable angle. For a broom permanently angled, flat wafers won't leave cornrows, but for a broom that can be used facing straight forward, a flat wafer will miss strips, thus, they use the conveluted (wavy) brushes.