Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Best shipping company???

curlett

I found a 36 inch front mount snowblower and a spring trip snow blade that I would really like to have but they are located about 230 miles away from me:(. Just wondered if who can ship it reliably and as cheap as possible. I figured if anyone would know it would be the guys on this site from experience. I'm figuring about $115 in gas alone plus a full day of my time, I'm just trying to see if shipping it would be worth it. Thanks for the advice in advance!

First of all, if the two items are from the same seller, it needs to be fastened to a shipping skid by banding, or you'll pay two times the money, one for each item, that's the way it works.

Now the shipper will want some extra money for packaging,probably.

I'm guessing everything including skid shouldn't wheigh more then 275 pounds. You can call some freight companies for a freight rate, by giving it this description, "1-skid two pieces, used parts, banded down 36" W X 36" W X 48" value not exceeding $250, wheight 275lbs". That's the freight company's leagalize. That should get you the cheapest freight rate. I am guessing on weight, but am in the ball park. You might be able to do it on the web also. Good luck.;)

My experience with Fastenal works like this;

1. Call Fastenal and get a qoute for shipping from one Fastenal store to another.

2. I take item on pallet, usually use ratchet straps.

3. Buyer calls my Fastenal store and makes payment for shipping.

4. 7-10 days later the new owner picks up their items at the Fastenal near them.

I had a engine shipped to me for $35, I've shipped weights for $50 and sent a tractor from WI to Indiana for $125. So far I've had a positive experience each time.

I can't tell you how many pallets I've shipped and received through Fastenal, just the latter half of this past year...I'm shipping a tiller to OK tomorrow. It's easy and cheap, BUT, you need a seller on the other end who's willing to go through the hassle of palletizing and dropping it off (they can unload with a forklift). I have found it to be extremely simple, and enjoy helping someone out. There are numerous local commercial or industrial places that pay to have pallets taken away and recycled, so they are happy to give them away...cribbing too. Auction yards are a great place to grab pallets as well (always ask if there isn't a 'free' sign)

I have yet to see a quote over $125 for pallets with 200# or less on them (don't include the weight of the pallet, 40lbs or so, in your calculation...the shipper does that). My furthest shipment was to Tuscon, AZ.

Easiest way is to mail the seller 2-3 ratchet straps and then you get them on your pallet when you pick it up. I have also had folks send me additional funds, to pick up straps locally. One guy bought some on Amazon, and entered my address as the Ship To.

There will be aditional expense if the item exceeds the dimensions of a standard pallet (42x48), or if you pallet falls apart. If you use a smaller pallet, tell them, because you can get $$ knocked off. They don't rush the shipments, and winter is slower. I've seen storms add a week or more to the standard week or so it usually takes. Their main distribution center is in Indianapolis, so they have been getting snows.

In all of my experiences, the buyer pays at the counter when they pick up. Seller doesn't have to deal with paying for shipping.

quote:Originally posted by curlett

Thanks for the advice. There is a fastenal store on both ends so I'm going to go to my store later today and talk to them

id="quote">
id="quote">Many stores don't deal with their 3PL service often, or at all, so don't be put off if they look at you like you're nuts when you visit. Most of the stores I have dealt with are 1st-timers, and though they execute well, need some corporate hand holding. Email Kyle, at this address. He is the guy that coordinates all of their 3PL freight moves, and talks directly with the stores to assist them. scooper@fastenal.comMy store didn't have a clue the first time or two I went, and today when I was there, they even remembered my name! I'm in and out now in minutes, though today was an exception....the manager got his forklift stuck in the snow.

I'm currently using Fastenal for the first time for a motor that I bought from BigDog (Gary). Had to go from the Fastenal store near Gary in Bedford, IN, to the one by me in Traverse City, MI.

The charge was $85. From what I can tell, it wasn't too much trouble for Gary to drop it off at the Bedford store. Though, I did have to put him through the hassle of draining the engine, hunting down a pallet, and getting some ratchet straps.

As for delivery, Gary dropped it off at the Bedford store last Wednesday morning (the 12th). Per my check with Fastenal yesterday (19th), it's still sitting in "staging" in Fastenal's Indianapolis terminal. Evidently, they won't ship it to me until they have a truck coming to Traverse City that's not full, and lately all of their trucks have been full of pallets of Ice Melt. Not sure how much longer it'll sit in staging.

I'm not in any huge hurry, so as long as it doesn't sit there until Spring I'm fine with it. But, if it's another couple of weeks or so before it gets here (or if I'd have been in a hurry to receive it), I may have been better off paying more $ to have someone else ship it.

Not complaining, just letting you guys considering Fastenal be aware that Fastenal's rate of delivery is affected by such things.

Josh shipped a 41" hydraulic tiller for a Case/Ingersoll from Wisconsin to me in Tennessee -- for $100. It was the first time the local office had ever had such a shipment, so they had to call back to Kyle to figure out how to record it in their system. But, they were super nice about it, and loaded the pallet in my truck.

Overall, I was quite pleased with how it went...

If you want fast delivery or detailed enroute tracking, you may want to try a different service. But for the price and the convenience, Fastenal worked well on this transaction...

That's not how it works, Fastenal use a third party logisitcs system to ship, stores only accept and receive

quote:Originally posted by bowhunt4life

My experience with Fastenal works like this;1. Call Fastenal and get a qoute for shipping from one Fastenal store to another.2. I take item on pallet, usually use ratchet straps.3. Buyer calls my Fastenal store and makes payment for shipping.4. 7-10 days later the new owner picks up their items at the Fastenal near them.I had a engine shipped to me for $35, I've shipped weights for $50 and sent a tractor from WI to Indiana for $125. So far I've had a positive experience each time.

id="quote">
id="quote">

They use their own trucks. Shipped two separate items this month. Was curious about a third party logistics. So I called. Everything in this region goes through their distribution center in Indy.

quote:Originally posted by RayS

They use their own trucks. Shipped two separate items this month. Was curious about a third party logistics. So I called. Everything in this region goes through their distribution center in Indy.

id="quote">
id="quote">Correct...their '3PL' is a separate legal entity, owned by Fastenal. Many companies setup their internal logistics this way, as a 3rd party, to reduce liability. Where I work, we even 'own' our fleet...as separate fleets by state. Each state we operate from, has a different freight company, each with the same name, but as an LLC within their respective states. We have yet another completely different logistics company we 'own', operated by my coworkers who simply arrange feight by common carrier, or hire our other internal fleets to carry freight. So, in essence, we own 13 freight companies, or 3PL's, yet every truck looks alike, and coordinates as one, utilizing all of our distribution centers.Freight is an interesting, and risky deal. LOTS of things companies do to make it cost-effective vs hiring an LTL carrier. Fastenal is simply leveraging their fleet to add some $$ to their loads. Kinda a neat idea...I often wonder how their insurance is setup, since they are accepting ownership of property that they have no safety controls over.

I used U-ship to ship a piano from the middle of michigan (can't remember town now) to my house in Mequon, WI. They picked it up, wrapped it to protect the finish, loaded into an enclosed trailer, unloaded it at my house (living room) for $330. It weighed 550 lbs. If you haven't tried it, its pretty easy. In 15 minutes I had 3 bids. There's no obligation, worth a look.

I also use uship, with good results. This option works great if the seller is unwilling to palletize or ship. I had a loader from VA to MI for $150...a tractor from MA to MI for $200, a small frame from IN to MI for $49...etc, etc. As long as it is close to or cheaper than fuel, I have it shipped. Uship has taken me much longer to obtain acceptable bids though. My quickest being 3 days and my longest, several 1 week relistings. You kinda need some luck going that route. I have met a few regional carriers this way, however, that I now can contact and work with outside uship (no fees).

All good ideas on shipping but for the relative short distance I would want to go and pick it up to look at the equipment before I bought it and to see what else the seller had around their place.I'd just make a nice day trip out of it.At any rate its going to be some

trouble and expense for the seller so expect to pay for their services not just the shipping.

I have a Fastenal store about 45 min away from me in Jessup,PA. It's nice to know I can have stuff shipped for a reasonable price. I have never heard of them before this. Thanks.:)

quote:Originally posted by ss74nova

I have a Fastenal store about 45 min away from me in Jessup,PA. It's nice to know I can have stuff shipped for a reasonable price. I have never heard of them before this. Thanks.:)

id="quote">
id="quote">I found this thread very informative as well! Knew nothing about this shipping technique. Most curious to me is I know Fastenal as a company that makes fasteners - but it also does 3PL (third party logistics) and this shipping thing.

Another shipper you might be surprised at;

Grey Hound Bus Lines.

You can "buy a ticket" for an item and send it on the bus.

I don't know the requirements but I know a couple people who have shipped vintage car doors and antique Volkswagon bucket seats.

Originally posted by donmoore1904
quote:
id="quote">Fastenal has their own trucks. Rather than go from their warehouses to their outlets 3/4 full, for very little extra expense they can generate income from the unused trailer space. That's why Huffy's example sat so long, no unused space.^

• 6 months later...

Just wanted to jump in here and say I would definitely recommend Fastenal for anyone's shipping needs. In January I shipped a John Deere power unit to a fellow in Georgia, never heard of this before and thought he was pulling my leg. He made all the arrangements and all I had to do was strap it to a pallet and deliver it to Fastenal, a six mile trip for me, they unloaded it with a forklift and the guys were great, also got to see other tractors and engines they had just gotten off another load. Kind of like a tractor show in the dead of winter!

I recently had a member whom was interested in buying one of my serfs. I was told by this member that all I had to do was pull up and Fastenal would unload, palletize and ship without doing anything else on my end? I was under the impression that you need to palletize the item yourself before dropping it off?

The item has to be fork lift ready (palletized) and all fluids drained when the sender takes it to Fastenal. They do not offer packaging services.

John U