Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New to site, with new tractor Simplicity 4040

Doogie

Hello, I recently picked up a Simplicity 4040 tractor. The previous owner did not know much about it. I do see the engine has been taken apart enough that it can be removed. I would guess that a past owner had a idea of what they were looking at repairing.

What Im wondering, is there anyone that has one with the stock engine, that can send me a few pictures of a few items that Im not sure where they go? I have a repair manual, but it does not show the actual part placement. I think the starter soleniod was bad. Found it in a box of parts, not sure where the ignition coil is supposed to be mounted? And what size of battery should I install in it?

Is there parts still available for the tractor and the Onan engine?

Welcome to the site.

We have several guys whom run 4040s so help should be along in short order.

The 4040s are a sweet tractor and do get a pretty good buck in my area.

Best of luck on your restore. Looking forward to seeing some pics along the way.

Mark

I saw one of these at my dealer, sitting in about the state you describe. The dealer said the owner balked at the repair charges to do something like what you describe - the starter solenoid or maybe starter. Said a bunch of labor was involved to get to whatever it was. They look like fantastic machines - good luck getting her going.

Welcome to the club. The 4040 tractor's engine is an Onan model CCKA/MS Spec number 2026G. Onan was purchased by Cummins Engine Company around 10 years ago as Onan has a great presence in the stand-by generator market and I don't know what happened to gasoline engine line but more will probably pipe in.