Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
yukon

powersteering

Talntedmrgreen

Yikes...the cylinders are stupid crazy expensive through a dealer...$900, or something like that. I'm pretty sure I just saw a thread somewhere on replacing the main seal on one of these. I know they are a welded cylinder, but not sure if they can be dissasembled like a loader cylinder. I thought they could.

Worst case, find one with similar stroke on ebay, from another machine. TONS of Deere cylinders from GT's on there.

If I find that thread, I'll post a link here.

Talntedmrgreen

I did find a thread over on MTF where a fella had one cut (lathe) and rebuilt for $50. That sounds incredibly low to me. If your rod is in great shape, I bet a hydro shop can do it for $100-150. The local place here wanted $250 each to rebuild my loader cylinders, but that included new rods, and it was single action.

From what I hear, those joints prefer to cut the end off, rebuild, and reweld.

Ronald Hribar

Seems funny that ice could cut the seal.

operated cylinders in the dirt on the farm

and that never hurt them. First time for everything.

Could you post the dimensions of the cylinder ?

extended and retracted length.

Talntedmrgreen
quote:Originally posted by Ronald Hribar

Seems funny that ice could cut the seal.operated cylinders in the dirt on the farmand that never hurt them. First time for everything.Could you post the dimensions of the cylinder ?extended and retracted length.

id="quote">
id="quote">Ron raises a good point....if you have it repaired, make sure they inspect that shaft for a bur or damage. Probably doesn't take much to get a leak started.