Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Where is this spring from on a 7119?

mbsengineer

I was out blowing snow today and even though the snow was rather light, it kept bogging down the blower. I just blew some REALLY heavy snow last week, and it blew great, so I was concerned. I checked the tension on the belt, and it was good. Everything seemed okay to me. I then happened to notice this spring sheared off from somewhere, and was laying behind the tractor. I have no idea where it's from. I have a 7119. I'm wondering if anyone could help, and perhaps confirm this might be the reason my blower isn't working as it should... =)

IMG_20140218_164416.jpg

IMG_20140218_164427.jpg

IMG_20140218_164416.jpg.9b7369cc5114ae8c757a0ca0aeba171b.jpg

IMG_20140218_164427.jpg.82913f227bda1199b0ba0bac85171113.jpg

If your belt tension is OK it could be your cone clutch needs adjustment or replacement. I burned mine out last winter blowing heavy snow and glued a leather belt in the cone as a replacement lining, and it's still holding up.

Check the PTO clutch adjustment, which should have a 1/16" gap between the cone clutch and the clutch pulley when your PTO is disengaged.

Thanks guys ... really feel like an censored.gif! I guess I put on some weight!

Anyway, thanks DMKNLD. I didn't think of that, but I bet that's exactly what's happening. I had to replace a lining (using the leather belt method) on another tractor before, and based on what's happening, and some smell coming from the tractor, I'm confident that is indeed the problem. I'll have to double-check to confirm.

Again, thanks all!