Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
PhanDad

"Bent Screwdriver Trick" for a Vickers? - Not Reqd

PhanDad

Is there any trick resembling the manual gearbox "Bent Screwdriver Trick" for to getting a Vickers transmission free wheel gear to engage if the lever no longer does the job?

Near the end of snow plowing yesterday AM, I ran over a frozen lump of snow with the right rear tire which resulted in a jounce. Nothing bad that hasn't been done many times before. I came coasting to a stop. No forward or backward motion. Checked things out. Vickers pump still turning, brake drum turning when in forward or reverse. No obvious axle tube or axle issues. Pushed tractor a bit, pushed easily, the same as when the free wheel lever has the tranny disengaged. Moved the freewheel lever back and forth, absolutely no resistance and no effect on tractor "push ability", always easy.

So I'm thinking the "bounce" moved the drive engagement gear to the freewheel position. So the ear is probably broken off the shift fork or some other issue with that mechanism.

I know rfsmith1952 posted a great write up about splitting the tranny case to repair a similar problem. I hoping for a quick fix to get the tractor running again to finish out the last few weeks of winter. A more permanent repair can await warmer weather. (And I do have a spare whole Vickers rear end that I may just swap in.)

So I await impatiently for some magical help from a trickster. :D

GregB

Bill,Is the area I circled a fill hole or a bolt, or just a recess in case? Copied this from one of the advertisers parts lookup page.

vickers.jpg

Know anyone closer than me who has one of those flexible bore scopes that Harbor Fright sells? Maybe you could at least get a look inside before you replace the trans, or split the case. The reason the bent screwdriver trick works is the lucky placement of the plug to the forks allowing access.

PhanDad

Greg,

Thanks for the response. I'll look when I get home later this afternoon from work.

Although I'm now getting a bad feeling that the freewheel lever isn't the issue. After reviewing a couple posts about axle tubes, I realized I didn't look on the correct side of the tranny to see if the tube was turning. I didn't get to look at the tractor yesterday in good conditions.

GregB

Bill take a look at RFsmiths picture below:

shiftshaft2.jpg

If the ball stem with the adjusting nut finally fractured after 40 years it would disconnect the lever from moving the slider on the shaft disengaging the gear. I think that part was listed as still available.Either way though axle tube or ball stem your splitting the case to repair. Or swap out a whole spare trans/hydro pump unit.

PhanDad

Just checked out the situation completely. Left side axle tube is rotating, so it's not a freewheel lever/mechanism issue. As I understand it, it's either an axle tube or, if I'm lucky, keys since the left hub is loose. I'll investigate in the spring.I think I'll swap out complete rear ends because the "spare" came from a 3416 and I believe it has the welded left hub. It also as the safer braking mechanism (tractor brakes work when in freewheel).And Greg, based on this pic of my "secondary spare", the indented area has a bolt/nut, not a plug.

Vickers_Spare_004a.jpg

Vickers_Spare_004a.jpg.839381f43f268b742ebe4c2277d438c9.jpg