Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Fan advice

huffy

I've been thinking of installing a 12 volt fan in the hood of my Sunstar to help keep the engine cool. The hoods are so closed up that it gets pretty warm under there in the summer time.

I found this one on eBay, and it says it's water proof. Thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/96mm-33mm-New-Blower-12V-DC-Waterproof-to-IP55-Ball-Brg-Cooling-Fan-2-pin-369A-/180958881807?pt=US_Computer_Case_Fans&hash=item2a21fd680f

Anybody have any suggestions for another type of fan? Perhaps something automotive related that might be of better quality?

I like it...if you buy a second one, you could mount it on the dash and have it blow in your face to cool you while you mow (wait...if it's hot out, you'll be on the boat anyway, right?)

I'm thinking of building a hard-sided cab and adding AC for the summer and heat for the winter. But, you're right. When it's hot and sunny out I don't really need a fan; I've got better ways to get a breeze going:

Sailing.jpg

Sailing.jpg.98e42ab529c92df46ea3e9ca571184ab.jpg

The ad addresses a question I had - the temperature the fan is rated for. 70 deg C is 158 degrees F which may be ok (?). Do you have a plan for how you would mount it? How will you "shroud" the intake to create the air flow that you desire?

I was thinking of mounting them inside the hood, right behind the little vents that are on the side and back toward the battery, with the fan blowing forward toward the motor. But, I haven't really settled on a firm mounting plan yet, as I'll have to figure out exactly what kind of fan I'm going to use before I can do that.

quote:Originally posted by huffy

I was thinking of mounting them inside the hood, right behind the little vents that are on the side and back toward the battery, with the fan blowing forward toward the motor. But, I haven't really settled on a firm mounting plan yet, as I'll have to figure out exactly what kind of fan I'm going to use before I can do that.

id="quote">
id="quote">If your thought to pull in outside air, at about 3-3/4" x 1-1/2" - it looks like there may be enough space to mount inside of the hood near the side vents. You may want to think about verifying operation and/or what happens if the fan fails - for example if it is blocking a vent.:OYou could cut a hole in the top, and mount the fan outside OO - it might look like a refrigerator from the 1920's, but you would have great cooling.

If you do not have the inner plastic shroud/baffle under the hood, that can make a great deal of difference on the Sunstars as to how well it cools. That is an important piece of the puzzle. I am sure you could add a 12v fan, but it may not be necessary if your problem is a missing shroud.

I think another member add a fan to their tractor. If I remember correctly the owner placed it behind the grill blowing air out of the engine compartment.

Maybe a search will turn up that post.

Rick.....

My guess that the engine fan will give you at least 1000-1200 cfm and that one you have in mind, is rated a 30 CFM . If you want to keep the compartment cool, my guess is you need something like this, http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/52131/10002/-1 as the idea is to be a help not a hinderence, taking more air away then the engine produces. And I can't find the data on the engine what is required for cooling. Also it needs to be downstream.

when i got my deutz allis sunstar the oil cooler was so plugged it ran hot all the time you couldnt lay your hand on the hood i blew everything out and kept it clean and that took care of the problem.something to try.and blow out the cooling fins.

quote:Originally posted by Brettw

If you do not have the inner plastic shroud/baffle under the hood, that can make a great deal of difference on the Sunstars as to how well it cools. That is an important piece of the puzzle. I am sure you could add a 12v fan, but it may not be necessary if your problem is a missing shroud.

id="quote">
id="quote">If you're talking about that removable plastic thing that covers the battery, it's there.

quote:Originally posted by yukon

when i got my deutz allis sunstar the oil cooler was so plugged it ran hot all the time you couldnt lay your hand on the hood i blew everything out and kept it clean and that took care of the problem.something to try.and blow out the cooling fins.

id="quote">
id="quote">The cooling fins on the motor have been cleaned. By oil cooler are you referring to the cooler for the transaxle? There isn't an oil cooler for the engine, that I'm aware of.

I don't think a 29cfm fan is going to do a thing for keeping a hot engine cool. You need to be North of 100cfm for it to start doing anything.

quote:Originally posted by jlasater

I don't think a 29cfm fan is going to do a thing for keeping a hot engine cool. You need to be North of 100cfm for it to start doing anything.

id="quote">
id="quote">I had seen the 30cfm rating, doubled it to 60 for two fans, and quickly said to myself that might be enough. But I think you are right in your guesstimate that at least 100cfm is in order for a hot engine. Also may want to take into account the current air flow when deciding how to mount a fan, so as to not fight it with the added fan. The suggestion above of a fan inside the grill, blowing outward, sounds like a logical choice for some reason.

The most important think to realize is, whatever device is used has to have an air flow slighlty more on the downstream side to prevent any loss of air movement over the cooling fins. And without that air flow data , it's possible you could do more damage then good.

Chris.

I have no idea of thr CFM capability of the electric fans, such as those in my '84 Subaru, I will have to check the base ment for the "muffin" fans,

savaged from old medium scale computers. I know one is a 12VDC ('cause I used it to fully drain the batteries for my old Panasonic Vidcam!

I'll let you know what I find. The ones in the Subaru will have to wait for the mounds of snow to thaw! watch the left side of this, for the protruding hood.

Wayne

quote:Originally posted by BLT

The most important think to realize is, whatever device is used has to have an air flow slighlty more on the downstream side to prevent any loss of air movement over the cooling fins. And without that air flow data , it's possible you could do more damage then good.

id="quote">
id="quote">Yep. Wherever the added fan is placed, it could cause a restriction relative to air flow currently through the engine compartment. Good point.

Also remember the current load on the motor you decide to choose.

If you draw more current than you charge the battery with, you will discharge the battery.

You also need a complete path for airflow, air in, air out.

Restricted airflow, either intake or exhaust, will effect the efficiency of the fan.

quote:Originally posted by BLT

I lieu of having hard data to work with, the only way to tell if the fan is doing any good is a slack "U" tube manometer.

id="quote">
id="quote">Bob, what's a manometer? Thanx, Dave