Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 7016 carb

OkieGT

Be advised that a few eBay sellers are selling non-Briggs carbs that are not true to their numbers.

This guy http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-REPLACEMENT-BRIGGS-CARBUETOR-ASSY-FITS-CAST-IRON-ENGINES-391070-11049-L-K-/150928734669?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23240db9cd sells (if I recall correctly) BBT carbs that are not number correct. The body will fit and it will work, but the linkages are wrong and cannot use the factory remote choke without some drilling. I made the decision that if he wasn't honest about the numbers, how could I be sure it was a large flo-jet and ended up buying a factory Briggs carb new. It set me back $180 but it bolted on and works like a champ. Doesn't leak, engine starts right up every time and there are a few "improvements" to the casting since the original '73 carb it replaced. Add to that a two year warranty on the thing and it was an easy choice.

That is the one I ALMOST pushed by it now. My carb look really good, but seems to be flooding, hardly any hours on the tractor, less than 700, should I look at rebuilding over buy a new one. Thanks, good to be asking questions at a site where knowledgeable people are giving great advice

quote:Originally posted by drbrian722

Be advised that a few eBay sellers are selling non-Briggs carbs that are not true to their numbers.This guy http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-REPLACEMENT-BRIGGS-CARBUETOR-ASSY-FITS-CAST-IRON-ENGINES-391070-11049-L-K-/150928734669?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23240db9cd sells (if I recall correctly) BBT carbs that are not number correct. The body will fit and it will work, but the linkages are wrong and cannot use the factory remote choke without some drilling. I made the decision that if he wasn't honest about the numbers, how could I be sure it was a large flo-jet and ended up buying a factory Briggs carb new. It set me back $180 but it bolted on and works like a champ. Doesn't leak, engine starts right up every time and there are a few "improvements" to the casting since the original '73 carb it replaced. Add to that a two year warranty on the thing and it was an easy choice.

id="quote">
id="quote">

I would rebuild before buying new, I think the kits run about $30.

Zippo has some great "how to" videos on youtube to show the procedure as it's easy to do wrong and damage it. Emulsion tube before splitting the carb! Being that they are made of a zinc alloy they are soft and prone to corrosion, especially at wear points. The original on mine had dissolved one of the ears that hold the float so it would tilt to the side and lock up.

When you say "flood" what do you mean? Generally, updraft carbs can't flood an engine. I know the seat tends to leak on these and for most a fuel valve is the easiest solution.