Sign in to follow this  
JJ MARSHALL

ELECTRONIC IGNITION

JJ MARSHALL

THANKS RAY FOR THE reply

it does have points

just trying to help out a neighbor

he gave the part place the model #243431 off motor

and told him that it would have electronic ignition.

i though that i had seen this talk about on here before.

but wanted to be sure.

JJ

RayS

He can send it to Briggs in a large flat rate box and they will ship it back for free. The address is on here somewhere or he can use a Nova II or a Megafire II and not mess with the megatron coil.

timflury

398811 is the part number for the Magnetron upgrade kit.

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=127515&SearchTerms=menomonee

The address is still current.

Be sure to adequately pack your flywheel. I have heard horror stories about poorly packed parcels where the colling fins have broken off the flywheel.

powerking_one

Also, there is Magnetron upgrade module PN 394970 which snaps into your existing coil (assuming yours is good). There are about 20+ of them out there corrently on eBay and are about $15.00 w/free shipping. The 398811 is the whole Magnetron and coil as a moulded assy.

Tom (PK)

RayS
quote:Originally posted by powerking_one

Also, there is Magnetron upgrade module PN 394970 which snaps into your existing coil (assuming yours is good). There are about 20+ of them out there corrently on eBay and are about $15.00 w/free shipping. The 398811 is the whole Magnetron and coil as a moulded assy.Tom (PK)

id="quote">
id="quote">I tried that and it would not work. I may have got one that was defective. It was a genuine Briggs part. I know that I would not risk the $15 to do it again. I would either send the flywheel to Briggs or use a Nova II or Mega Fire II. I never had either of the two electronic modules fail. I have a Nova II that I have on a tractor that has been in use for around 10 years.If it has points it does not have an electronic module or coil.

powerking_one

Quote:

" tried that and it would not work. I may have got one that was defective. It was a genuine Briggs part. I know that I would not risk the $15 to do it again. I would either send the flywheel to Briggs or use a Nova II or Mega Fire II. I never had either of the two electronic modules fail. I have a Nova II that I have on a tractor that has been in use for around 10 years.

If it has points it does not have an electronic module or coil."

Ray,

I have used these Magnetron conversion modules on many many B&S engines over the years and have never had a problem with any of them. Perhaps (in the case of the 10-16 cast iron singles) you did not flip the coil around 180 degrees; MANDATORY)? If you left the coil in this factory/points position, true it would not work. That being said, it sounds like there was some sort of pilot/installation error here.

Tom (PK)

RayS

I did what was stated in the instructions and it didn`t work. If it worked for you great. Keep buying them. I will not buy another. It may have been defective as stated above. I bought an Atom ignition module from NAPA as well. It wouldn`t work either. Atleast they took it back.

timflury

The Magnetron modules only work provided you know the armature is good.

You'll know this after you replaced the spark plug, points and condenser AND you know the points plunger isn't worn down and the engine still won't run.

AND,,, you MUST send the flywheel for repolarizing whether you use the module, OR the 398811 kit on the cast iron horizontal singles.

You can also call the Briggs tech support and explain to them your intentions and they will help you determine if your engine can be upgraded and exactly what needs to be done.

Putting it on the "left" side of the armature is not the answer. The directions in the kit(s) must be followed to the letter.

Trust me on this. I have a 5hp vertical and a 243431 that I have upgraded with the molded in Magnetrons and they both run fine.