Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity hood bolts (early)

trowel

Need some help on hood bolts.

Ordered 4 of the shouldered knurled head thumb screw for the Monkey Wards Squire 9, took the earlier ones before the T handle ones, the head looks too big at 1 1/4 in Od, does anyone know the size of the head on the original ones ?.

Forget the wing nut, but the actual parts you need are the 4 bolts, then 4 stop nuts, 4 conical springs and finally 2 threaded bar.

Hoodscrewssml.jpg[brI drew up this sketch as there is nothing to show you how it's done.

HoodBolts.jpg

Thanks guys,

The Squire 9 took the early knurled head bolts before the ones with the rods through it, wanted to keep it close to original as i can.

I am after all missing three original cone spring and two of the threaded bars.

Would anyone have these for sale or know were to get them ?

Reeds, will keep your offer on mind.

ReedS,

I am going to say this one more time, the early knurled bolts without the T rod.

I have the original manuals for the tractor, snow thrower, dozer blade and 42 inch cut mower deck.

I just wasted $ 10.

There is a company online called American Ring, that has a broad selection of 1/4 turn fasteners, although not OEM, as the equipment owner, you have to be happy with what you choose. Every time you look at your "baby"!

Wayne

Sorry to say but I've owned an early Landlord or 2 and all have had the t-bar bolts. Maybe monkey wards were different though most of the Squires I've seen have the t-bar bolts. Not looking for an argument.

I don't think anyone here was trying to start an argument. My '63 Broadmoor has the knurled screws and one of my early B-10's had them. They are identical to the t-handle type but do not have the cross hole and rod through them.

DSCN0366.jpg

DSCN0367.jpg

DSCN0366.jpg.f204a57046562263cfd3852f3531b0a5.jpg

DSCN0367.jpg.e5a5df5d3a02d8efe8548f75518d9f4f.jpg

Pre1964 were without the Tbar on them but most were changed over. But the ones without the Tbar don't show up all to often but I know there out there yet cause I have a set or 2 that I use

Thanks guys,

Tire of people trying to convince me it took the ones with the rod when i know for a fact it did not. I have asked many times, this is the first time someone has provided pictures of the original ones for 1963 and the size of the head which conferms the ones i ordered are too big at 1 1/4 od and the head is much thinner.

Not Oem but as close as i can. This is one the hardest to find out of all the hood bolts.

The Monkey Wards is 1963.

I made the cone springs to fit for now but if anyone knows of a place to buy that size springs and threaded bar, regardless of OEM or not, let me know.

Below is from McMaster-Carr, head is not 7/8 th but close enough.

I can live with this.

Knurled Head Thumb Screws

High Head

Roll the finely knurled, slip-resistant screw head between your fingers for controlled adjustment. Screws are fully threaded. Length is measured from under the head.

Inch sizes have a Class 2A thread fit.

For technical drawings and 3-D models, click on a part number.For technical drawings and 3-D models, click on a part number.

High Head

Head

Unslotted 18-8

Stainless Steel

Unslotted

Black-Oxide

Steel

Lg. Dia. Ht. Each Each

5/16"-18

3/4" 3/4" 9/16" 93585A290 $8.57 90200A220 $4.65

Product Detail

Black-Oxide Steel Knurled Head Thumb Screw, High Head, 5/16"-18 Thread, 3/4" Long

The comments above are correct...the non-T handles were provided very early on, and quickly superceded by the more user friendly t-handle bolts. The only tractors I have had with the non-t-handle bolts were an early Broadmoor, an early '64 LL and my Squire 6. My Squire 9 had the t-handle type. I've had several '64 LL's with the t-handle type.The Squire 9's were a '64 model year, but all I have seen wear a '63 23D, and I'm sure they were being built late-'63 as were the Broadmoor's, B-10's and LL's. The Simplicity built versions offered in their '63 catalog year were the 725 style, among others, from other manufacturers.

quote:Originally posted by trowel

I just wasted $ 10.

id="quote">
id="quote">Don't be a little $hit...we collaborate here, and learn from each other. I appreciate you stirring conversation, but your first impression on this site has not been a good one. I had gotten a different impression elsewhere, so common, play nice.

quote:Originally posted by spyder400k

i have what you speek of ill see what the size is in the am and get back.

id="quote">
id="quote">yes its the same as the t bolt style its .885 in dia.

You are the man to talk to regarding the Money Wards with your extensive research.

The trouble i am having with the T bars is on my manual cover and other pictures within the manual clearly shows the hood bolts without the T bar, the picture on the cover is a actual photo of the tractor itself, not a drawing.

The dating make sense, you know how this goes but i spoke with the original owner of the tractor and he stated he bought it new in late 1963 with the three belt snow thrower, dozer plow and 42 mower deck, he did not use the mower deck until the spring which makes me question the date again.

No Receipts when bought new were provided so it leaves a lot on the say so of others.

If this helps you any, the driveshaft looks more like the 725s then the Landlord.

You can get the weld nuts at Fastenal. I got my last set at Menards. Ace Hardware more than likely has them. They have a wide variety of fasterners.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/details/38131;jsessionid=91vTTLDMDf4ypd0kn5W1XSrxSD8n4qVBQgVyJ2SQw2vSfLyxvFBw!-609976957!-413200744?searchMode=productSearch&zipcode=&filterByStore=&filterByVendingMachine=

I think it's realy neat that you got the paperowrk with it...didn't realize it was bought from the original owner also! Very cool. Brochures and manuals were not Simplicity's finest credit in those days...from year to year many of the same images were shown, many innacurately depicting small changes an even colors. For the 'first' model year of most machines, the thought is that the pictures were taken of the very first unit(s) from production, which is why we would expect to see the non-T-hanles bolts would be depicted on a '64. Likewise, here is the LL, also with those hood bolts, from the '64 brochure.

landlord_pg1.jpg

landlord_pg4.JPG

...and the Broadmoor

b_snowplow_pg15.jpg

...and the B-10

b-10_specs_sm.jpg

panel_lg.jpg

...late Big Ten & B-10 for comparison. T-handles present.Big Ten:

controls.jpg

mower.jpg

B-10:

ac_b-10_late.jpg

Thanks for all the help guys, BTU, i think those will work just fine, better then what i was locking at for electrical enclosure.

Contacted the original owner for more information and parts after buying it from the seller in CT, so i know for a fact it is one of the early Squires first put out by Monkey Wards, as soon as it came out he bought it new.

The Squire served him for almost 50 years,censored1.gifof a run for a little tractor.

Tish, tish,....little $hit ?? moving on from that,..

The photo i posted from the manual is as you stated, one of if not the earliest of the Squire 9 before full production, all the GT Mfg's do that, my DB Roto Spader had 4 variations in one year and none of it was documented, took years of research to figure out at least some of the 3 of them, my uncle has the earliest one to date.

Planet Jr. did that too, so did many others.