Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
SimpleAlex

7116H Hydro Linkage Moves Hard

SimpleAlex

The arm that controls the forward and reverse speed of the hydro on the tractor is much harder to move than I would like. It takes a good amount of effort to get it to move, which makes controlling ground speed a bit on the jittery side.

I'm wondering if there's any go-to's that I should check, or if a good cleanup and greasing of the pivots/joints/linkage will do wonders?

Thanks!

PhanDad

First thing I'd do is disconnect the rod from the front lever (under the tractor, inside the frame).

If the lever is hard to move, then it's the lever "bearing". If the lever moves easy, then it's something in the linkage at the rear.

SimpleAlex

I took the linkage apart one piece at a time, and in the end found out that the spring connecting the shaft assembly to the whole roller assembly thing makes to really tough to move the hydro arm.

When I disconnect the spring, the arm moves super smooth. I'm guessing that maybe the spring was replaced at one point with an oversized one..?

I can't quite figure out was it's even for..

MikeES

There is supposed to be a horizontal spring from the pump control shaft to a bracket on the left side of the frame. I believe to give constant tension in the control cam so the pump doesn't surge or pulse. The spring is not very heavy and if your cam roller is in good condition (not much slop) you can probably get by without a spring.