Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

garden mark squire

trowel

Hey, Im looking at a 1962 ? (need confirmation on date) red Garden Mark Squire, has the Briggs 7.25 hp model 19D, owner stated it has spark and fired on some gas but a non runner, BMG is tight and tranny is tight but the drive shaft is loose.Starter/generator works but no battery.Looks like everything is there with original tires front and rear.He is offering it for $ 300 but i can get it for $250.For a red Garden Mark Squire in this condition is this a good deal for the rarer tractor ?Thanks

gardenmark.jpg

gardenmark1.jpg

gardenmark4.jpg

gardenmark5.jpg

gardenmark6.jpg

gardenmark.jpg.c322d9433dbc750b328b9ebc403b880d.jpg

gardenmark1.jpg.4f2e48701239ce62bb42ff2dd543061e.jpg

gardenmark4.jpg.26bf89b9501820fbac519d34428ca694.jpg

gardenmark5.jpg.9b29cacc0913d296e3ffdd7be74c2776.jpg

gardenmark6.jpg.0ea36b496e5544c26d0c4d76cc2379ca.jpg

IMO

If I heard it run and it was not a smoker, I would have no problem paying 250.00. You just do not see many of these around.

Sorry you missed it!

That machine has been listed and relisted for a very, very long time. I think it was on ebay several times, with no bids (high opener). He did great if he got $300 out of it!

There's a peach of an early Squire here, runner, a bit cleaner, with deck, blower and weights for $400. I couldn't bite...it sat for a long time before the ad expired too. I'll text the guy and see if he still has it. Was a great, barn-kept machine if someone is interested.

The 725 variety just doesn't garner the same appeal, IMO. You see lots of them, by comparison. Still a neat tractor...my Simplicity 700 is one of my favorites to drive. I love the view over the hood, tight turn and pop of the model 19.

Ah, i see, the date and time on the camera picture was the first thing i questioned. He did say he had been trying to sell it for a while, i never seen it on CL until today.

Regardless of the value the 725 looks to be a neat little tractor anyways, i was a little disappointed seeing it would of been a nice little companion to my Squire 9.

The tall steering colum, the seamless fuel tank, and the bent shifter would (to me) indicate a later series machine. (Aproximately 1963) Note the head light is not original and there appear to be two different sets of rear tires going on in the photos, the first set being the diamond treads and the other the standard Goodyear Terra tires.

The only and closest actual dating method to these tractors is to hope that the engine is original and that the data tag is still there. Decoding the briggs tag will give you the engine production date which was somewhat ahead of the tractor build date.

Yes I would guess '63ish. Simplicity (and Allis) did not have model years like autos. They just went by model, though there are several production changes that are relative to the age of the machine. I believe the last of the flip hoods had taper roller bearings on the front wheels as well as pan seat, though I am not 100% sure of the MW having the pan style seat.

Slight variations to each model, sometimes mid year with some tractor Mfgs.

The single lamp had the toggle switch on the back but the housing looked different from the guild lamp by way of the clamp holding in the lense.

I take the 725s had the guild lamp ?

Note the steering colum height relative to the hood and the seamed fuel tank.

I wasn't sure if the MW had the pan seat with the late models, say late 63/64 as the 725 did. Fairly certain all used Guide lights.

Backward wheels are common as it's easier to open the hood. I also missed the remote choke control, that's also a later production add on.

Yes, all 'bug eye' lights on Simplicity built tractors, including Powermax (and Allis built Homelites) were Guide. There were a couple varieties though. Early machines had a toggle, as did rear lamps. Homelite and Powermax varieties had a different base. All were the same size, housing, ane bezel. There was a chrome bezel option early on as well.

Ah, the steering wheel on the other way, that is neat !

Makes sense with a flip up hood. Am i correct with the 725's the ones with the steering wheel that could be pushed down and twisted out of the way for opening the hood ?

Mr Green, now that you mention that, my Squire 9's head lights are unknown with GM bulbs, in the other thread i was given advice on the guilds.

The switch for the lights are tied in with the switch for the ammeter and i do not have a key switch but a toggle switch for the engine on/off.

I would gess this was added when the owner switched to external coil for the engine.

I believe if you pull up on the steering wheel on the 725 you can free wheel it. I done it a few times when standing on the grader blade, throws the front end ALL out of linement.:D

IMO Simplicity put the steer wheels on backwards, I like having the corners on top, don't have to grip the wheel so tight.

Could be pics of two different tractors above....the tires arent mismatched, they are completely different in the first and fifth photos. First looks like Schenuit's and the last are Terras. Steering wheels also appear to show different wear. Dude got his pics mixed.

I cant say I have seen an 'early' Squire with the low wheel, as shown in the farm catalog. May simply not have noticed. I also have never seen one with the late seat, early straight shifter or pre-remote choke. I think the latter two characteristics were Wonderboy/700 only features.

My 63 G-Mark has the steering wheel on backwards...she is the one that started all of this collection. My BiL gave it to me in about 1986...I have loved it ever since. jh

quote:Originally posted by johnmonkey

My 63 G-Mark has the steering wheel on backwards...she is the one that started all of this collection. My BiL gave it to me in about 1986...I have loved it ever since. jh

id="quote">
id="quote">Ah ! just figured out how to reply to someones quote.Still bumbling my way through,....My first Simple i used (not owned) was a Mid 60's Landlord, loved it, been searching for my own off and on for a number of years, all the other tractors took presidents until the Squire 9 popped up. The next tractor i find will be posted here for you guy's sharp eyes and options, you know the minute changes in the models and pictures.If a GM Squire 725 pops up on the east coast (or 725/B1) let me know, im thinking the Squires might be my thing.

Several years ago 'THE DADDYCAT" , Kirk, did an indebt study of the difference in the 725 model, not sure how to find it, but I think he had every detail zeroed in on.

The seller is a great guy to deal with.He purchased many items from me in the past.I sold one of these that I had restored to a soldier stationed in North Carolina.He came up here to New York and back in in one day (6 hours each way).He said there are none of these in his home state of California and the Army was shippping it for free on his next move home.

Chatted with him for a bit and we sent each other pictures of our tractors, he has quite a bit and a very nice Allis B-1.